Specs :
Asus P5Q Pro

Intel Q6600 currently oc'd to 3.0ghz

G.Skill ddr2-1000 4gb RAM

ocz stealthxstream 600w psu

OCZ Gladiator Max Heatsink

I currently idle at 30 - 40 degrees and under load 60 degrees

My vCore is at 1.3825

I am having trouble keeping my computer from heat and stability if i go any higher

I was wondering if you guys could help and if i could hit 3.4ghz or 3.5

THANKS

I don't think the gladiator is particularly good, anyway nothing you can do about that, and i may be wrong too.

Did you properly apply thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5...?

ROFL i just threw a blop down there [prolly too little]

I thought it was too uneven do after my heatsink went on top of my cpu and flattened the goop, i spread the thermal compound on my heatsink, leaving barely any.

so yaeh i think i failed

AND i was using the thermal compound that came with my cpu which is even more fail

Well...yeah that stuff isn't really good, im pretty sure its a thermal compound issue. You do have the G0 stepping?

I don't think your quite sure about how to properly apply thermal compound, first i would recommend ordering a $5.00 bottle of Arctic Silver 5.

Basically you want to put a tiny dot of thermal compound (one bottle should last for the rest of your life, and generations to come...) because the more direct metal to metal contact there is, the better, thermal compound is only there to fill in for the slight bumps and imperfections in the metal. I hear some people spread it than scrape of the compound with a razor. Im not really an expert, im actually using a stock intel fan, and i think there is a thread on this, don't trust me trust the thread.

The Gladiator is the new incarnation of the OCZ Vendetta 2, so it's a pretty decent cooler.

nosebleedXD, how much Vdroop are you experiencing? Also, have you tried using different (from AS5) thermal compounds like Tuniq's TX-2 and Arctic Cooling's MX-2?

my friend is willing to apply as5 for me soon and could you mind telling me when vdrooping is

also i've gotten it to 3.4ghz or 3.5 i believe but i needed 1.525V for it to be stable

and then i released my temps when all the way up to 80 so i closed prime 95 right away and set back to 3.0ghz

The problem with AS5 is that it needs around 200 hours to "break in", after which the real benefit from it shows. AC's MX-2 on the other hand performs just as well from the get-go and is non-conductive to boot, so you won't fry anything if you accidentally dab it onto your motherboard. It's also available for around the same price.

As for Vdroop, for an excellent explanation, combined with instructions on how to measure it, look here.

Make sure you have a multimeter handy. :)

rofl alright i took a look at the vdroop info, pretty clueless

and i don't have a multimeter =[

anyways i will first try as5 first

and what would be a voltage that would be too high to use, does 1.5 seem risky?

If you were to do any overclocking above 3.5 with the Q6600, i'd suggest that you use LCS instead... I'm running my Q6600 on Air with custom cooler and AS5 but it stables (after long hours of operation and testing) at 3.4 ghz...

Just my op on the matter

Liquid Cooling System

Liquid Cooling System circulates a liquid through a heat sink attached to the processor inside of the computer. As the liquid passes through the heat sink, heat is transferred from the hot processor to the cooler liquid. The hot liquid then moves out to a radiator at the back of the case and transfers the heat to the ambient air outside of the case. The cooled liquid then travels back through the system to the CPU to continue the process.

3 - 3.2GHz is more than enough for any app or game. I don't think you would see any performance increase in the vast majority of games beyond that point. So unless you're looking for bragging rights, I'd be happy with that "mild" an OC.

True to a certain extent. I would say that if you're going to do just gaming, you don't even need an oc at all. Rather, why are you on a quad core if you're into gaming. I can tell you that a e8400 performs better than a q6600 in games, its the optimisation for quads vs duals thing >_>

For myself, i do 3d Rendering and video transcoding/ encoding so every little bit of extra speed can mean the difference between a 3 hour to a 30 minute render for me or a 8 hour transcode vs a 2 hour one...

Weight it in because oc-ing will reduce the lifespan of your CPU and mobo if i'm not mistakened.

guess what, i just got my computer stable at 3.2ghz at 1.389 vcore

it does get pretty hot when testing with prime95, at blend test got it max to around 72

and small ftt got it to 77 max

so what im guessing is my mounting issue, i used the fail thermal compound and i didnt even apply it right

arctic silver 5 it is

True to a certain extent. I would say that if you're going to do just gaming, you don't even need an oc at all. Rather, why are you on a quad core if you're into gaming. I can tell you that a e8400 performs better than a q6600 in games, its the optimisation for quads vs duals thing >_>

For myself, i do 3d Rendering and video transcoding/ encoding so every little bit of extra speed can mean the difference between a 3 hour to a 30 minute render for me or a 8 hour transcode vs a 2 hour one...

Weight it in because oc-ing will reduce the lifespan of your CPU and mobo if i'm not mistakened.

We tried to convince him to get a 8400, he didnt wanna. By the time 4 cores are widely used, both of these cpu's will be way back in the dust.

LOL so someone did go ahead of me and recommend him a 8400 already... Well, i can understand though, most of the people i know think that because it has two more extra cores its faster and better... Thats not necessarily the case >_> Its very dependant on what you work with on the computer...

Nosebleed, try not to blow up your pc ok? if you're not going to do anything with the OC i don't honestly suggest you oc at all... and 72 c is pretty high.

I've got mine to a 3.4Ghz Stable on 1.375 vcore and i do 67 celcius max. Using AS5 with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro...

Even then i use it for my 3d Studio Max and Mencoder encodings >.< If its anything, you don't wanna cook off your q6600, so try not to go over the edge k?

I find it just amusing how many people think Quaddies are the shiznitz in everything hahahah

I think you've probably hit your OC limit, everything seems reasonable and good(aside from the still setting AS5) , so just go have some fun with your q6600.

I find it just amusing how many people think Quaddies are the shiznitz in everything hahahah
Yes, silly teenager friends make the funniest requests on computers, and they make me lol at their computers and statements about them :D.

DAYUM "I've got mine to a 3.4Ghz Stable on 1.375 vcore and i do 67 celcius max. Using AS5 with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro..."

how did you get it 3.4ghz stable at 1.375, mine restarts when i do that when loading windows

im back to 3ghz at 1.375v

i read once that different chips give different results, plus i'm using a chassis with 5 120mm fans surrounding my q6600...

You probably messed up with the thermal paste, your cable management in your case is horrible, hindering your cooling, or you have very little case fans, or maybe even your casing being tiny o.o all plays a part.

I for one am going to switch out my current casefans to new CM ones which do 110 CFM at 20-30 dbs. Lovely stuff. Hopefully will drop my temps further :D

Try different vcores, higher or lower... and also remember to set your PCI-E freq back to 100 and not auto... you might cook your gfx off o.o

Your settings are independant to your computer, teh hamsteyr seems to have a superior computer...so his max would be slightly higher than yours. It kinda depends on your motherboard, cooling, and the CPU itself.

Just keep your temperatures in check with a reliable source, and if their low enough at full load, then you know you can push it some more.

@hamsteyr
I know you just added your avatar because i told you i forgot mine all this time =.=.

lol anyways, yes i will try to redo my thermal compound first

i have like a 30 dollar case =[ rofl its a mid tower so its all good with only 1 120mm fan tho, i should put one on the side

right now im at 3ghz stable at 1.35v core and im still getting higher temps than you LOL

ocz gladiator max should be fine though right

and im sure my cable management should be OK... rofl ill show you guys a pic in a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back