Need help on process

PGXkiLlER

i need some help on process i have like 85 process running while just surfing net
i don't know which one to kill

First; you don't go around just killing off processes; you disable them and then reboot.

Two kinds of thing are at issue here
  1. programs set to autorun for you
  2. system services autostarted
In the former list, you can easily control what is or is not autostarted when you logon.

The system services are seen Start->run->services.msc

but then you should have an idea of what's running and what is not necessary according to your useage

First; you don't go around just killing off processes; you disable them and then reboot.

Two kinds of thing are at issue here
  1. programs set to autorun for you
  2. system services autostarted
In the former list, you can easily control what is or is not autostarted when you logon.

The system services are seen Start->run->services.msc

but then you should have an idea of what's running and what is not necessary according to your useage

okay so when you disable 'em from services.msc and then if you start program which requires processor to run which is disable then it should be turn on by it self right? and if i close programme then it should be disable by it self ?

NO
  • disable means disable, do not run
  • auto means run at boot time
  • MANUAL allows
    • you to start it manually
    • or it will start if so needed
However, regardless of how a service is started, it stays running until reboot or manually stopped.

Again, you need some background on what can be manipulated and some services are just better left alone :wave:

sorry for late bump so is there anyway that you can save process of taskmanager so when it'll restart nxt i won't have to stop it going through task manager again?

tip

unless you identify what is starting the process you can't prevent it

from how you are describing the problem I also suggest caution while doing this - you can end up creating more problems than solving

one blunt way would be to see the exe name and do a regedit search for it if it's a startup entry.

be more specific about what you like to remove and google the filename to get a clue what it does

Now you have a good learning opportunity to learn more about viewing and controlling
> Your program startups and your System Services

1. Program Startups
HERE's an excellent tutorial about Program Startups, how to control them and a database decscribing most common startups so you can decide if you really need them to startup on every restart

2. System Services
Some excellent resources to learn about and control your services
> Black Viper describes services, helps determine if you need them on Automatic, Manual, or you can Disable
> You can use msconfig tool to "tweak" services while in "Diagnostic" mode to experiment till you decide you get them right
> Once done "tweaking" things i do NOT recommend using msconfig to store your new run-time service startup configuration. (msconfig was designed as a diagnostic/test tool). Also see http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149804
> Another great, helpful tool is Serviwin. See [post=941127]here[/post]. You can also use it to save a report of your current services and their start settings so you can keep a report on archive if you ever needed to recall what they were before your last "tweak" session

Back