Need HELP - out of space on primary drive

By hestaman
Feb 17, 2007
  1. I have a very old PC - about 8 1/2 years. (Pentium III 450) I plan on upgrading my PC in the next few months (actually weeks), however, have run into a problem in the past few days and was hoping somebody could help me out...

My primary drive is 6GB and I have a secondary 300GB hard drive. I thought at the time of my last OS installation that 6GB would be enough if I installed my applications and all user data on separate partitions of the secondary hard drive. However, I have just officially used my last 75MB of primary hard drive space :( The documentation that came with my very old pc says that the IDE controller does not support drives larger than 100GB so I bought a controller with my large hard drive. Everything has worked fine for about a year and a half now.

I have more than enough space on my secondary drive to reinstall the OS, however, when I go through the installation, Windows does not acknowledge the secondary drive that is connected to the secondary IDE/SCSI controller.

Really what I'd like to do is 'move' all data from my primary partition to another partition on the other drive and then 'swap' primary/secondary partitions. Since I only plan on using this PC for a very short time - I don't want to invest in a program like partition magic. Is there anybody who can help me get this all sorted out so I can use my PC again? HELP!!! (Thanks in advance...)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

First of all, cleanup old files (and there's tons of them)

cp->change a setting->Perform & Maint->Free up Space
  3. hestaman

hestaman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply -- because this is a small drive and this disk space issue didn't exactly come out of the blue ;) I performed weekly disk cleanup. So, I have already performed this step and only saved myself about 5MB:(. I've done all of the 'basic' steps to keep my disk space low (I even have 5GB partition set aside on the secondary drive to store the page file). What should I do?
  4. PeeWee89

PeeWee89 TS Rookie

can't you compress all data by right-clicking the partion and press "compress data to save space"?

not a very exact guide perhaps, since i have my OS in swedish i dont know what it says in english =)
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

compression is BOUND TO FAIL -- it requires MORE space to do its work
    before swapping files.

cleanup and move are the only choices that will get you back more space
  6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

The idea of resorting to this makes me shudder.... eeeeyyyoouuhuhuhuh.... On an old machine like this one, you'll end up with one hell of a slow volume.

This computer probably only supports up to 32GB.

gParted might be able to do this. It's free.
  7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

8. hestaman

hestaman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Good article. However, I didn't see anything regarding the solution I came up with which was to buy a new controller. This has worked fine for me now for 18 months - no problem. The only problem I have is that now I'd like to put the OS on one of the partitions on the large drive and when runnings Windows install, I can't seem to find any drive connected to the new controller. I don't believe the controller came with any drivers or install disk.
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

most controller cards require an install disk. Check with the manufactuer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.