Need help please making a Duel Core RAM purchase for Toshiba Satellite U305 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I think I posted this on the wrong forum at first- hope this one is ok!)

Hello everybody, first let me say hi as I'm new to this site!

I have a Toshiba Satellite U305-S5077, with an Intel Pentium Duel-Core processor T2080, 1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM (512MB X 512MB) (uses PC2-5300) 160 GB HD.

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM because it runs a little slow for my tastes with Windows Vista.

My question is, would it be beneficial to invest in another Duel Channel/Duel Core RAM Stick, or would it be just the same just to purchase a regular old memory stick (non duel core)?

BTW, the RAM's that I'm looking at in particular are:

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145156

-or-

Kingston 1GB DDR2 PC5300 SO-DIMM / NOTEBOOK MEMORY

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5274167

I don't know much about duel core/duel channel, but when I went on to Crucial's memory uprgrade site, it said the following:

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: Yes.

To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

So it seems to me like it would be better to buy the duel core.

Oh, and one last question, does maximizing/increasing RAM decrease the battery life on a notebook computer? Sorry for all the questions, I am somewhat of a noob. Thanks in advance!

Thanks again

Thanks Again.

Found a replacement for my motherboard.

Unfortunately the support personnel there was unsure if some chipset could still be usable. Is it possible that any of them would be damaged or already have been damaged? How can I check without a second pc to check them?

I desperately need to fix my pc. My brother's projects are all inside the hard drives (I have two) which is a little difficult to extract in pc rental shops without the software (their school issued it for uniformity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back