Need help quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan29121

Alright I installed a GPU in my buddies computer and I believe it was getting too hot due to the compact design of his case. In the process of installing windows the computer shut off in the middle. Now the computer will not power up. I felt the gpu and it felt pretty warm. Did I fry something? I tried removing the GPU and still does not power on. There is a green light on the motherboard that came on and I dont believe it was on before. What can i do?

If you didn't seat the graphics card properly into is slot, you could have fried the motherboard

The GPU was seated properly. The computer worked fine for about 30 minutes then decided to shut off. Any other suggestions?

I believe the green light is just to show that there is power going to the motherboard.

Do you get any response at all? Maybe try another PSU in the system?

I doubt you "fried" anything if the VPU were overheating. Unless you see any physical damage, it should be okay (I'd guess anyway).

"The computer worked fine for about 30 minutes then decided to shut off"...

Take the CPU fan off and reapply the thermal paste... Other than this, you may be facing a hardware failure

I went out to my local Staples and purchased an Antec 500w PSU and tried that. The computer started up fine but when I went to install the GPU again and tried to start it the computer would not turn on. The CPU fan twitched a little bit but then nothing. I would think that a 500w PSU would be enough to run this computer. Its not a high end computer by any means for its a 2 year old basic computer. Do I need a bigger PSU or is something else wrong? The card I am installing is a 8800gs.

Alright I tried the new card in my other computer and it would not work. I came to the conclusion that the video card does not work. Does a video card usually stop working completely after getting hot once? This doesn't seem likely that a video card would stop working after getting hot because these gaming cards should be able to withstand a little heat. Is this a common re-occurance?

You do not need a better PSU than the one you have just purchased (although you've probably already come to that conclusion).

It's very possible that there was damage caused if the VPU overheated. Regardless of the nature, it's obviously damaged if you've come to the same result with multiple PC's. RMA the VPU or buy another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back