Need help, random BSOD

DjKraid

Hi!

So I have this little problem, my computer realy randomly BSODs. Sometimes it dies when I play games, sometimes just when I listen to music (Digitally Imported, with vlc) and sometimes it just dies on me when I surf the interwebs.

I recently installed 2Gb more ram and at the same time I did a clean install of w7Home Premium (x64) and at the same time I installed Norton 360 (got it for free), steam, spotify, some games and then of course the software that comes with the mobo.

Full system specs:
- AMD Phenom II 555
changed to: x4 B55 (Unleashed), OCd to 3.9GHz (200, x19.5) and I have not changed the core voltages (should I?), HT and NB not changed
- Noctua NH-U9B cpu cooler
- ASUS M4A785T-M
- 2x2Gb DDR3 @1333MHz
- Integrated graphics card, HD4200, 1Gb (sold the old one, did the clean install with the integrated)
- 250Gb SATA II HDD and 1Tb external (USB)

If you need to know more then just ask.

The minidumps are attached as .zip due to the file size limit.

thx in advance! :)

Attachments

• 012511-21481-01.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 012511-23665-01.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 012511-30092-01.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 012611-21418-01.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks; it makes working with minidump files a lot easier.

Your errors are the same 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dumps simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive which is the norm with this error.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source o 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

*** In light of your symptoms I am wondering if it is your network card either having faulty drivers or has gone bad. I suggest going to Asus' website, find your exact motherboard, and update both network/wireless/NIC drivers and onboard audio.

*** Let us know the results.

When I did the clean install I took all the drivers and programs from the CD that came with the mobo but after that maybe windows have done some automatic updates to the drivers and have got it wrong (like windows always does).

The CPU idles at 29 Celcius and at most I have got it up to 49,9 Celcius (according to AMD OverDrive). when I had the x86 version of w7 and the CPU "at the same speed" I had no problems...
The chipset cooler is really hot so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem.

--- Just when I was writing this it BSODed on me again ---

Anyhow I downloaded and installed the drivers as you said and rebooted after that. Then I put some music on (digitally imported wth vlc) and started to build some web pages (with notepad++) and then suddenly bsod...and the minidump is attached...
...so what next..?

Attachments

• 012611-22604-01.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 1
Yes I think so to. But I don't think it's the CPU that is overheating, when I run 2 games at the same time and a performance test (passmark) and loads of small programs like skype, steam and so on then the CPU goes up to ~50 Celsius...
I'll order tomorrow an other chipset cooler and then we will see what happens :)

I'll be back :D

So I ordered a new chipsetcooler but I just got a mail that it's out of stock so I have to order an other one. Do you know anything about:
Manufacturer: Alpenföhn
Model: OTSI

or

Maufacturer: Xigmatek
Model: Porter N881

Do they fit on my mobo and are they any good?

Here is btw 2 more minidumps that I just got, same problem again?

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 1
I don't know anything about those manufactures. Both error codes are the same as before only citing hardware.

ok i just had this problem not to long ago. and i had it for about a month and it was driving me crazy.

i have 2 questions for you and this is based on my own experience.

question 1: on your mother board are you running the core unlocker, if so turn it off and see how it goes. as it tends to play with your memory settings in temrs of what frequency you are using on your memory and so on.

question 2: did the BSOD start after you installed you memory, if so chances are your memory runs 1.65 volts or lower. AMD doesnt like low voltage memory and that would most likely be your issue right there.

can you send a link to what ram you put in your pc.

#Route44

The place where I always order stuff from don't have that many chipset coolers, thay have one "ChiChilla KL-03" (the one I ordered and is now out of stock) and the two others I mentioned. What's a good chipset cooler and where can I order one from?

1, yes I was running it but now it's disabled
2. actually I had two bluescreens just before I installed the x64, that was when I just started to use the integrated graphics card but then I thought it just was some kind of driver error or something like that and at that moment I couldn't care less I knew I anyway had to do a clean install.
I just changed the voltage to 1,65

So now we shall see what happens...I'll be back once again :D

I don't know what are your options are in Finland as to where you can purchse. Your question about chipset coolers for you processor would be an excellent question to ask in our General Harware forum. Tell them your cpu and motherboard.

Concerning chipset coolers this is from someone I highly respect for their knowlege: Good, budget heatsinks are the Sunbeam CCT 120mm and CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. High-end coolers would be the TRUE with an excellent fan or the Noctua NH-D14. If you go with the Noctua and decide on four RAM sticks be very careful what you buy. The Noctua overhangs at least two RAM slots and some sticks with tall heatsinks won't fit under it. The TRUE seldom has clearance issues unless you decide on a 120x38mm fan for it.

* I've read of many people really liking the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

Yes I'm actually planning on upgrading from Noctua NH-U9B -> NH--D14 but before that I need a new graphics card and for that I was planning on getting a ATI Radeon HD5770 (1Gb, 128bit, GPU@850MHz, mem.clock@4.8GHz). My budget is kind of tight right now so I can't get everything at the same time :/

After changing the RAM voltage I have been able to get a bsod :) and yesterday I also got a new graphics card so now it's even harder to get a bsod or to be more accurate I have tried to "stress the computer out" but no luck :D

btw, the graphics card I got ("on" warranty) was a ASUS GTS250 512Mb Dark Knight (original was just a Club3D GTS250 512Mb) but what do you think about it?

rob1006 got it right. I'm glad it is was nothing major and that this issue was resolved because it sometimes can take seemingly forever to find the root cause to 0x124 errors.

Are you a gamer?

Hah...just got one, first time playing Borderlands (with all gfx settings on high except anisotropic filtering that was off) :D
Do I maybe also have to change the CPU voltage? -I read somewhere that it's usually helps too but what should I set it to?

Attachments

• 020411-22604-01.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 1
Another 0x124 error. The RAM should be set to its original designed manufacture voltage. If this is designed for 1.65 then st it to that. If it is for 1.8v then set it to that, etc.

the "default" voltage is 1.5v and then it says (-/+0.75v)
I took down the CPU to 3.5GHz and now I'm relay having difficulties getting a bsod :) so I guess if I would change the cpus voltages it would work fine(?)

Are you saying you had your cpu overclocked or the voltages were wrong? Overclocking as the error description I gave you is one of the main causes for 0x124 errors.

Back