Need help setting up external HDD

georgetok

I just bought Seagate GoFlex 2.0 TB External HDD.

When I plugged it, it shows 2 Folders named “Seagate” & “USB 3.0 PC Card Adapter”

It also has “Autorun” MacInstaller.dmg” & “Setup” icons.

I have never used such a HDD & don’t know how to set it up.

This is what I want to do & you guys can tell me, how to go about it.

I want to make 3 Parttions. I want to install Win-7 in one 100 GB partition, back up my data in second
500 GB partition & put all Multimedia files in 3rd leftover Partition.

Can I just delete all the above mentioned files & folders it came with ? Do I need them ?

OR can I just cut them out, paste it in another main HDD & then proceed with what I want to do
with plain blank 2 TB HDD ?

I know how to Partition & install Windows-7 on an internal HDD but never used such an external HDD.
Please help.
Thanks

If you are even a tad bit uncomfortable deleting said files that came with your hard drive, just do as I've done sometimes, don't delete them, just hide them! Seeing that you are using Windows, so go to the hard drive (right click) on the file or folder, wait for pop out menu, when there select (properties), wait the split second for that menu, when there, at the bottom you will see a small box labeled (hidden), put the check mark inside that box, hit (apply), it may want to know if you want to apply the hide to any sub-folders or files, select (yes), hit (ok) and your done!

I don't always hide folders or files on new hard drives, but if I ever feel like I will need the material anytime in the future I just save it by hiding it. If you feel like you will never need the stuff, get rid of it and delete it.

Sounds like a nice new hard drive, 2.0TB, wow, lot's of room there.........good luck! :)

Back