Need help speeding up my computer

tpw

I was giving this direction below when i boot in safe mode do i go into administrator or user this is for a window xp proffessional computer.

this was the direction

The should help to speed you up:
Please print the following. you will need to list of programs to take off of startup and modify the Service Startup Type:

Please reopen HijackThis to 'do system scan only.' Check each of the following, if present:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

Close all Windows except HijackThis and click on "Fix All"

Boot into Safe Mode:
Reboot the computer.
After the logo loads, begin tapping the F8 key
When you get the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" use the Arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.
Click on Start> Run> type in services.msc> scroll to each of the Services below and set as directed:
Apple Mobile Device - Set to Manual Startup
Bonjour Service - Set to Manual Startup
iPod Service - Set to Manuakl Startup.
JavaQuickStarterService) - Set Startup to Disabled.
NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - Set to Manual Startup.
YahooAUService- Set to Manual startup.
Exit Services when through

Click on Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab:
Find each entry for the list of processes you stopped in HijackThis and uncheck it.
Click on Apply> OK when finished.

Reboot. NOTE: On the first reboot after using'msconfig', you will get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' You must stay in Selective Startup to keep the changes.

1 Week Ago
Bobbye
Helper on the Fringe Location: Florida

Removing all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created
Uninstall ComboFix and all Backups of the files it deleted
Click START> then RUN
Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

Download OTCleanIt by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
Double click OTCleanIt.exe.
Click the CleanUp! button.
If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
You should now set a new Restore Point and remove the old restore points to prevent infection from any previous Restore Points.
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
Click "System Restore".
Choose "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next".
Give the Restore Point a name> click "Create".
Go back and follow the path to > System Tools.
Choose Disc Cleanup
Click "OK" to select the partition or drive you want.
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous Restore Points except the newly created one.

I went into user i did every except i did not see YahooAUService but i saw yahoo updater but i left it at automatic since i was it sure. And when start setup non of stuff from hijack list show up.

Hijack this can mess up the system pretty bad if your not carefull, you can clean up everything by simply doing a disk cleanup by right clicking on your hardrive and clicking "disk cleanup" and then defragging them as well, also use "msconfig" in command prompt to stop so much from starting when you boot your PC

Hijackthis! etc

What you have done is a very complicated way of speeding up your PC if I can say that.
If you were trying to cut down on what programs load at start-up, just go to search, and 'msconfig', and use the 'start-up' tab. You need the Microsoft entries, plus your firewall and antivirus program. You don't need Adobe services or Quicktime or any similar programs to start, of course you can launch them when you need them.
Use 'CCleaner' or similar often, and a Defragmenter, and you will have a fast startup,
in my opinion.

Don't use CCleaner! That program deleted windows files and stuffs up your system completely

Don't use CCleaner! That program deleted windows files and stuffs up your system completely
You must have gotten a "special edition" version of CCleaner. I've had it installed for a couple years, and it's never "deleted any Windows files".

It probably would help to be able to read what it's going to remove by using the "analyze" function first.

If you only set it to clean up the standard things it dosn't but i was using the complex cleaner in the program and it does, also won't completely uninstall if you try remove it

You must have gotten a "special edition" version of CCleaner.
I'd have to agree...

I was giving this direction below when i boot in safe mode do i go into administrator or user this is for a window xp proffessional computer.
Administrator is a user...but it should work in admin.

Bobbye was probably virus cleaning, not speed boosting.

Using CCleaner...

As CCleaner downloads form their site, it is fine to use. I would say don't tick any of the last 4 options in 'system', nor any of the advanced options, (although 'wipe free space' is very useful, in clearing deleted areas, remember to untick it afterwards because it can take a long time to run.). Also untick 'Thumbnail cache' in Windows explorer, because the system has to rebuild all the desktop icons every boot. I try most free programs that appear, and I've used 'CCleaner' since Windows 95 days, can't say I've had one problem with it, that's on 5 different PC's. If anything, it doesn't clean enough, but there are other programs that will do.

I agree, I've been running CCleaner for a long time and never had the first problem. It's a good program.

DKRON, you shouldn't be using the "complex cleaner" anyway, if you don't know how to decide what to delete. If you don't know, let someone knowledgeable help you.

ccleaner is one of my main stay to my computer.
I like this to clean up computer computer and speed it by disabling some of unwanted startup items.

thanks for sharing that.

Back