TechSpot

need help to choose hd

By fajoo24
Apr 14, 2006
  1. hi people,

i have some question which i seek answers. I currently have 40gb Seagate Barracuda hd. i have Athlon xp 2100+ on MSI KM4AM mobo with 786 mb of ram.... i m going to expand the capacity to 120 gb... wht i wanna know is:

should i sell my current hd and buy a new 120 gb hd or can i stick with my current hd n get another 80 gb...i m gonna buy sata so also i wanna know if sata n my baracuda can be run together or not... (i m confused bout should i buy seagate sata 80/120 gb or western digital 80/120 gb with 8 mb cache as both have 7200 rpm, which is better in terms of performance..

Can a normal barracuda n a sata whn run together cause any problem in terms of performance.. :dead:

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Check you mobo manual if you can run SATA as non-Raid.
    On that old(er) mobo, it's better anyway to buy an additional 80 or 120GB IDE harddisk and keep your old one.
    Seagate Barracuda would be perfect. It's more important to have a low access-time than a big HD-cache.
    With such a low-performance CPU you wouldn't notice the difference between SATA and IDE.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.