Need help trying to resolve why this laptop is unable to install a app

Lightingbird

Hey all, I have a odd problem.

I have a user that is trying to install a program called easy tether on their machine. Every attempt gets about half way through the installation and then it gives the error of "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

It will point back to the same installation folder in which the installation file is clearly located but no matter how many times I retry, it will not get past this error.

The user is on 32 bit windows 7 which is their personal machine(non work) and here is all that I have tried so far:

1. Verified the correct version of software was being used and re-downloaded it several times.
2. Attempted to install in safe mode but the installer wizard is no longer available in windows 7.
3. Attempted a clean boot and failed.
4. Ran some malware virus scans in safe mode with no luck.
5. Verified windows installer was running and restarted it with no success.
6. Disabled his windows firewall and Comodo firewall completely with no luck.
7. Tried to install as admin but there is no admin account setup on the users laptop.
7. I attempted to install the package on my machine, which is also windows 7 and it worked with no problems.

Any ideas? I'm lost.

1. I found THIS using google (so read and proceed at your own risk). Scroll to the end for your specific error. It suggests trying Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. MS no longer officially supports this tool but you can find copies still available for download if you look. (MS doesn't support it as they say it sometimes breaks things - So suggest you do a System Restore first. i've used it on occasion with no problem)

2. You can also turn on/off Windows installer trace logging. It might provide more detail if needed. you can also compare the traces between your machine which works vs. the trace on the failing machine

Back