TechSpot

Need help upgrading Dell Dimension 300 desktop

By frank1414
Feb 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all, i'm trying to upgrade my Dell Dimesnion 3000 Desktop (due to tight budget and being unable to buy a new computer) so it's able to play some more modern pc games (i.e. civ iv or civ v) but i'm not really much of a tech geek when it comes to computer hardware upgrades and i was wondering if you guys can recommend what i should get to upgrade the dimension 3000 best.
    My PC Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
    RAM: 512 MB
    Video Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    Sound Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    70 GB of Memory Available

Thanks!

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

Well I hate to be that guy, but your PC really outdated. I understand being on a tight budget but upgrading that machine would cost much more then buying something a bit more modern.

The motherboard (Socket 478) will limit you to the older Pentium 4 CPUs.
    You are also limited to DDR RAM and a PCI (not to be confused with PCIE) video bus.

Honestly it is not be possible to upgrade the machine to play Civ 5.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

I also agree, hold on to your money until you can afford a decent computer; maybe $500 depending on peripherals/OS/re-used parts.

4. pjamme

pjamme TS Enthusiast Posts: 285

Frank,
    I will agree to what the others have said. The Dim 3000 probably has 2 256MB RAM chips which is all the slots you have. To do gaming you are gonna need a lot more RAM than your Dim is capable of installing. Sounds like you also have an integrated video card.
    You could easily put $400 into it and still have a unuseable computer.

5. electromagnetic

electromagnetic TS Enthusiast Posts: 201

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.