Need help upgrading Dell Dimension 300 desktop

Hi all, i'm trying to upgrade my Dell Dimesnion 3000 Desktop (due to tight budget and being unable to buy a new computer) so it's able to play some more modern pc games (i.e. civ iv or civ v) but i'm not really much of a tech geek when it comes to computer hardware upgrades and i was wondering if you guys can recommend what i should get to upgrade the dimension 3000 best.
My PC Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Sound Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
70 GB of Memory Available

Thanks!

Well I hate to be that guy, but your PC really outdated. I understand being on a tight budget but upgrading that machine would cost much more then buying something a bit more modern.

The motherboard (Socket 478) will limit you to the older Pentium 4 CPUs.
You are also limited to DDR RAM and a PCI (not to be confused with PCIE) video bus.

Honestly it is not be possible to upgrade the machine to play Civ 5.

I also agree, hold on to your money until you can afford a decent computer; maybe $500 depending on peripherals/OS/re-used parts.

Frank,
I will agree to what the others have said. The Dim 3000 probably has 2 256MB RAM chips which is all the slots you have. To do gaming you are gonna need a lot more RAM than your Dim is capable of installing. Sounds like you also have an integrated video card.
You could easily put $400 into it and still have a unuseable computer.

Back