Need help upgrading... well almost everything

By pc_noob005
Dec 23, 2008
  1. Hi, so I currently have a motherboard with only pci slots. So I want to upgrade that, but while I'm at it I need to know what the best are and good upgrades for processor and power supply. I'm going for a gaming computer and my current specs are:

Processor: Intel Celeron 330
    cpu: 2.66ghz

Manufactor: Dell
    Chipset:Intel 1865p/PE/G/i848P
    I have a Dell B110

I'm looking at this motherboard
    I' don't really have a price budget, but I'm going for acheapest as possible, but still upgradeable so I can add on new graphics cards, etc. later.
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

That motherboard is very decent for a gaming build on a budget. It doesn't support your current CPU though. Are you going to buy a new CPU too? You can get an X2 5400+ BE for $66 with free shipping on Newegg, a very good bargain IMO.

Also, if you want recommendations on a possible system build, just post a rough budget, your location and whether or not you need parts like a DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc.
  3. pc_noob005

pc_noob005 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

Thanks for replying. So if I were to get a cpu with it, I wouldn't have to upgrade anything else until I have the money? Also If I can get a low end computer with one PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot for under $300 then I'd rather do that, but right now, I don't have much money, so upgrading as I go seems like a cheaper option. Also for the building a system option, it wouldn't have to have that nice of parts, yet, it would just need to be upgradeable.

also if I were building a new comp, case wise which one is best:
    (looks good, price, psu)
    (I really like the looks of this one, and a lot of fans, but no psu)
    (seems like an all around good deal, but there are no reviews, so I
    m worried about it.)
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

For a gaming computer, you'd need a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and video card, as well as a power supply for it all. It is very doable with $300. Here's an upgradeable system that is also a decent gaming build:
    Grand Total = $305.95 without counting shipping (which is free on most of the items) and rebates. If you want, you can go with this video card if your budget allows. You can re-use your case, HDDs and other stuff from your Dell. A new case isn't too expensive either, and you can get a decent one for ~$30-40.

Good luck and I hope I helped. :)
  5. pc_noob005

Thanks for all the help, but if i wanted a new case would the last case I posted, be good, since It comes with power supply, also I already have 2 gb of ram, so is another 2 necessary now?
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

You have 2GB of DDR RAM isn't it? You'll need DDR2 for the new board.

Also, I would recommend this case over any other. Also, I don't recommend most PSUs that come with cases, since they're usually not very good. There are exceptions, but the ones you've posted are not among these exceptions. The OCZ PSU I posted a link to is relatively cheap and far better than the ones that come with the Apevia and Rosewill cases respectively.
  7. pc_noob005

ok, thanks, will be getting it seperate then.
  8. pc_noob005

Hi, sorry for keep asking questions, but is the power supply necessary,will my current one which I believe is 250 watts, work? Also I was thinking of getting this motherboard and cpu instead, is everything compatible?

Also for the above cpu it seems to not come with a cooler, will that be a big problem?
  9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Yes, you will need a new PSU for the new video card primarily.

And yes, the parts you've chosen will work together without problems. And no, the CPU does come with a heatsink, since all retail CPUs come with heatsinks.
  10. pc_noob005

Okay thanks, and are you sure, because under the reviews a lot of people say it doesn't.
  11. Rage_3K_Moiz

Hmm, looks like you're right, the CPU doesn't come with a fan in the box. I apologize for that, my mistake.

But a very decent CPU HSF can be had for around $30-40 and even lower, so look around. Also, you may want to ask your local computer store if they'll sell you an AM2 compatible HSF for cheap.
  12. pc_noob005

Okay, thanks again for all your help, happy holidays.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.