Need help upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styl

I've had the same computer for nearly five years now, my brother built it for me. It is way outdated and just about anything would be a great change. I used the same 1.5ghz processor for the majority of its use, until it quit in August. I bought a new one, but this motherboard just isn't doing it for me, it will only read the processor speed up to 1.5, only read up to 1GB of ram, and only has PCI slots and one AGP. I'm not sure what would be best for me. I only have $150 to spend right now, but I will have more in the next couple months. Thanks!

I was looking at a couple 'combo' deals on Newegg, but I don't know much about what hardware is good and what isn't, I just know how to use it. Can't post the links, sorry.

Not sure yet what my total budget will be, probably around $250-300. I want to be able to play games, but I don't have to have them on their highest settings. I'm not much of a high-end graphics person, so I don't need a really great graphics card, and if I do ever want one I can always buy one at tax return time next year. Hope that helps.

I have a feeling that what I've got now is going to start failing, it was all pulled from old, nonworking systems. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Try these parts then:

Grand Total - $328.07 not counting the rebates and including shipping. After rebates, the amount comes down to $283.07, which is within your budget. The video card is included in the prices, but the onboard video card on the motherboard is the best out there at the moment, so check it out first and if you think you need a bit of a boost, go with the HD 4670. The build should be a major improvement over your current one and everything will work together without problems.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Ha! Major? I don't think there's a word that can fully describe how much of a difference it will make. So I don't really need the video card right now if I get that motherboard? What are the specs of the onboard?

Thanks, Tedster. I'll likely be spending less than $300. I just barely have that to spend, but I bring home a lot of work and this stone age computer isn't helping much. ;)

Rage, I've looked over everything you listed, and have a question/request. I notice that on the TA780G there is only one IDE on it. Since both my hdd and dvd burner are IDE, could you point out a good board that has two? Or would I be better off just putting the hdd and burner on one cable as master/slave? I don't really want to upgrade those right now since the hdd is only 6mo old and the burner is less than a month old.

I'll have $190 by the end of today, so I'll be able to get the processor, motherboard, and psu before the special savings deals end for the latter two on the 31st. I'll be able to get the memory near the middle of next month, not sure when I'll be able to get the HD 4670.

One more thing. Would the HD 4670 be able to play some of the newer games? Such as Mercenaries 2 or Far Cry 2? Thanks! Ah nevermind, just saw the Far Cry 2 performance in-depth on here.

don't forget - you can always salvage old parts from an older system, like your HD, floppy, CD rom etc...

I was planning on doing that, Tedster.

Rage, I looked through some of the reviews on that memory you listed, and a lot of people who bought it receive it DOA. I'm willing to pay a little bit more if it means it'll work alright. I've been looking at other memory listings, but the only difference I'm seeing with them is the price. Could you help, again? Sorry to be a hassle. :)

Thanks, Rage! I'll report back once everything arrives and is set up. Hopefully there isn't any problems on that end. :)

styl the hardware told by rage will be good in performance's wise and it is latest ie dual core processors, 2 gb ram and HD graphic card. And moreover it is in your budget ie $283.07. I think with this hardware you will also get the good gaming experience too. Go head with this specification.

Thanks for your input, sps.

Rage, I've bought everything except the CPU so far, which I have to wait until the 10th to get, and the graphics card. I may have a bigger budget for the card, around $100-$150 now. Is the HD 4670 the best card for that price range? Appreciate your help. :)

For that price range, if you're willing to go for rebates, the Sappire HD 4850 is the best card you can buy. If you can't\won't go for rebates, then the HD 4830 is a great alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back