Thermaltake "Copper" HSF
OCZ thermal paste
and the rest of the stuff i had laying around:
Antec 420w PSU
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Palomino) @1.6*ghz
2x512 Samsung sticks of ram
a Geforce FX 5500 256mb
a Seagate Barracuda 160gb

Now the problem is that when I press the power button on this build everything "starts" (CPU fan,case fans,GPU fan,CD-rom,HDD spins,and Keyboard blinks briefly ) BUT nothing is displayed on the monitor....always on standby.SO i did some testing (I am an experianced PC builder BTW) and checked all my connections,removed the HSF and replugged the CPU,swapped the graphics card with another one and swapped the ram...nothing...Then i ran a "barebones" test..nothing..I also ran different monitors(even though its a BRAND new LCD..nothing..So i decided to check EACH item individually on another system..the HDD is good,the RAM is good,the Graphics card is good,everying was good except the MOBO and CPU (wich I had no other system to swap with) EVEN the PSU is good...I doubt its the mobo since its new ...but the CPU is pretty old and i had it in storage for a year....so i guessed it was the CPU and tried something......I put the build together normally and took OFF the HSF and felt the die as I turned the power on to see if the processor was receiving power..and as I felt it it DIDNT become hot fast, it was actually pretty tipid and not hot at all (hmmm) this is not what I expect from Athlon XPs since we all know they get VERY hot...so im not sure whats wrong..my personall guess is that its the CPU wich is coincidently the most expensive part of a PC to replace (I REALLY HOPE ITS NOT THE CPU THOUGH) any thoughts on what I may have missed? any tips? Please im desperate!!

Did you check to make sure that themobo is not being shorted by some metal in the case?

sadly ive tried to check...everything in your guide.....nothig gave me results but luckily im going to a friends house today to swap processors with his socket A machine to fiure out once and for all which out of the mobo or proc it is..Obviously if his CPU works in y machine then my mobo s ok and if my CPU doesnt work in his machine then ill know its the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back