Need help wiht <windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new to this, and i really need help with my computer because Im not really good with technology!:(
I have a Windows Xp Compaq comupter, and when I turn it on sometimes I get this message on the screen
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe.
I turn off my computer once or twice before it finnaly starts with out this message popping up.
I would really like to know how to fix this problem so if anybody could help me that would be great!
Thanks!

I dont exactly know how to Run chkdsk /fthat So if you could tell how to do that, that would be great. Thanks!

Go to your Start button and click it on. Then click on the Run in your Start-up menue. You'll see a box marked open. Type in chkdsk /f and then click Okay.

I did what you told me to do, but i still have the same problem. I started getting this message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. after I statred using a Dynex wireless mouse for my computer. And i was wondering if this is the problem. When i turn on the computer and the usb for the mouse is not connected the computer it turns on fine but when i have the usb for the mouse connected and i turn on the computer the message appears saying that windows could not start. Do you know if the mouse has anything to do with it?

Okay, try working backwards. Before you installed this mouse were you having any issues like you are experiencing now? Dynex is a Best Buy brand if I am not mistaking and I know you can do much better for a mouse with just a few more $.

Okay, try this: Boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 as your computer is booting up.

Once it goes to your desktop in Safe Mode go to your My Computer icon and click it on.

Then find Control Panel and click that one.

Once the control panel comes up look for Add/Remove Hardware and click that on.

Scroll down until you find Dynex Mouse and every thing associated with your Dynex mouse. Uninstall all.

Now reboot (don't press F8) and see if Windows loads.

The reason I had to get a wireless mouse was because the connection for a regular mouse on the back of my PC was not working and I tought it would just be easier to go wireless! And no i didnt have any problems like this before. And I dont have any Dynex programs in my computer because i got ridd of them already before you suggested trying this, but I am still using the wireless mouse though, so I dont really know what to do know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back