Need help with desktop effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxSnip3xX

I just recently installed ubuntu, and I have a very good nVidia GEforce video card. I don't understand why desktop effects won't work. Any help?

Ok, it gives me 3 options (Im running Ubuntu 8.10 btw)....going on, it gives me none, normal, and extra. When I select normal or extra, it says desktop effects can't be enabled! What to do?

idk which GEForce it is, Id have to log into windows to check, unless you know a way to check in ubuntu. Going on, it shows my driver as this: "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 177) [recommended].

I have the GEforce 6200

I had the same issue with my N8800gt and ubuntu8.10,man I tried everything to get it to work because I wanted to give Ubuntu my very best shot. Unfortunately my best wasn't good enough
so it's back to XP until Jaunty Jackalope or wut ever comes out in 6 months and with better support for Nvidia.A quit note as well you may be using the wrong Nvidia drivers,you may need to use the older legacy drivers for this card...check it out.

But what's weird is, I had the visual effect working yesterday...I then change it to the "recommended" driver, and it doesn't work, so I change it back, and then it WONT WORK!

You probably have the most basic nv driver installed, which won't support the effects. Launch the apt-installer program and search for the most current nvidia drivers... the ones you will need to accept the terms of use for, install those and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back