Need help with DVD burner after iTunes CD import

Well,

I was importing a CD in Itunes then Itunes just froze. I closed out and then it no longer read my CD in my drive. I then tried seeing if my drive would read a DVD and nope, needless to say I'm ticked off now.

I have a LITE -ON DVD+RW SOHW-822S DVD Drive

Steps I have already taken include re-installing driver, deleting Upper and Lower Filters (and then inputing those same filters again) BUT my drive still does not read a DVD or CD anymore. Again this happened immediately after Itunes froze when importing a CD.

Any help would be appreciated, and Thanks in advance.

These are just some guesses and questions.. not sure if they might help but here's what comes to mind

deleting Upper and Lower Filters (and then inputing those same filters again)
You deleted and then input them?? Typically, after deleting them you should reboot. If you still have problems after deleting filters and reboot you should next step uninstall/reinstall your Media related apps to let them reinstall the filters they need

See [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post] and try the fixes as suggested there (and reinstall your apps) Is Itunes still installed??? Certainly reinstall it as well

After above, if problem persists
> Download/run Filter Driver Load Order tool
> Select your CD/DVD in left pane
> Then click on the Clipboard button and paste the result back into your next post

/* EDIT */
and along with filter order results, tell me what version of Windows you're running

I see your from Chicago, Go Bears! Now that I got that out of the way:

Okay just so you know I deleted Itunes (I can always re-install later), and also deleted the follwing registry keys associated with the Itunes Upper filters:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key:
I removed the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} key:
I removed the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0000F8753EC4} key:
I remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value.
Reboot

I Deleted GearAspi.dll from Windows\System32 folder

I Deleted GearAspiWDM.sys from Windows\System32\Drivers folder

I Deleted the Windows\System32\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

I deleted the Windows\System32\Drivers\GearAspiWDM.sys value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

I also rebooted

None of that worked my drive still does not read anything.

I then ran the Automated Troubleshooting Services you provided and it was no help (though thank you for the suggeston)

The text file you requested is attached

Thank You

Forgot to mention my system is Windows XP

Attachments

• info.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 2
see your from Chicago, Go Bears! Now that I got that out of the way
:grinthumb And now back to topic :)

Okay just so you know I deleted Itunes (I can always re-install later), and also deleted the follwing registry keys associated with the Itunes Upper filters:
I assume you mean you first uninstalled it? Or did you just try deleting/removing all of its pieces yourself by hand?

In any case, i think your next best step is to determine if you can boot your computer from CD or not. Reasoning: Windows corruption would only prevent the CD from working under Windows. If CD won't work from BIOS for bootup, the CD drive itself probably failed while itunes just happened to be running is my guess

So see if you can boot from CD

I assume you mean my Windows XP CD?

Not sure where the heck that thing is...gotta look for it.

I think I just may end up getting my Computer checked out...which means spending money...good times.

Anyway, thanks for suggesitons, I appreciate yor time.

When I got to BIOS screen my DVD drive is recognized, if that means anything...

Anyway, thanks for suggesitons, I appreciate yor time.
You're most welcome. Glad to try and help

When I got to BIOS screen my DVD drive is recognized, if that means anything...
Is good to have checked BIOS :) Certainly if not in BIOS the drive is dead. But still in BIOS doesn't preclude it went bad :(

I assume you mean my Windows XP CD?
You can use any bootable CD. If you have another computer (or use a friend's) you could create a bootable Knoppix CD (see step #2 in [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]). btw.. and just having a Knoppix CD lyin around as a rescue CD can also be handy

Hope you can get that CD fixed! g'luck :)

Back