Need help with first time build please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to build my own computer, using mostly new parts (mobo, graphics card, processor, memory) but using some parts from my old computer that are still in great working condition (Audigy 2 soundcard, one 120 GB hd and a 200 GB hd) but I have a problem. Most mother boards out there today have SATA connections and only one ATA100 connection on the mother board. Because I want to keep my old harddrives, I was wondering. If I plug my ATA133 hard drives into the ATA100 connection on the motherboard, what will happen? Will the speed decrease, or will the ATA133 harddrives be unable to communicate with the ATA100 connection on the motherboard? Thank you in advance for any help.

I have yet to get a motherboard that they have started to take decrease the number of IDE channels on a board just because they have Sata on there also. They are pretty much have two channels. One usually used for your HDD's and another for your CD Roms.

To answer your queestion though yes your HDD's will still work they will just be running at the ATA100 speed instead of ATA133.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back