Need help with IE problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsdkellysr

I am running XP Home Edition with SP2. Attempted to update IE to new IE7. Received errors when going into pogo and IE automatically closed. I went into add/remove and uninstalled it. Since removing IE7 when I open Explorer it is not connecting as it did before and I cannot use Favorites in IE. Last night I attempted to click on a link within IE and I had 68 IE pages open - would not stop opening. I finally got them closed. It is opening IE all by itself now! I am also not able to use my address bar anymore. If I leave more than one thing open now I cannot see anything all programs are just blank and the system locks up. I have to do an emergency shutdown to restart as the Task Manager won't work.

PLEASE HELP ME!

I would completely uninstall all IE applications. Use add + remove programs, physically remove it from 'my computer' etc. When you can go on 'search' and enter 'Internet Explorer' & it's all gone...then reinstall it. Also...see if you can use 'system restore' first (if you want)...it might work. Good Luck.

"I had 68 IE pages open - would not stop opening. I finally got them closed. It is opening IE all by itself now!"

This can be a sign of a malware infection on the system. Have you scanned with your anti-virus program and two or more spyware/adware programs, updating each right before the scan.

IE7 is not an update for IE6. IE6 is a Windows Component. If you uninstalled IE7 correctly through Add/Remove Programs, there is no reason that returning to IE6 should cause this problem.

Bobbye

Gave up

I did scan with Norton, Ad-Ware, HJT and Pest Patrol - Nothing that wasn't resolved at the time of attempt. I have given up and started to wipe everything and now have my Windows ME back - now I am havind an issue with my "upgrade" to XP. Hoping that tonight I will get that resolved and be back up and running. As to post from Bobbye - mine too started on its own. Last night before wiping out I found that IE would open a second page for every one click and then LOCK. I attempted to use the Netscape that came with my system - would not allow it to update - I could access the internet but, it would not do anything but give me java errors - it absolutely would not update ANYTHING. So last night I proceeded to start from scratch with it - 2 nights of hassle - Cannot seem to fix so I am going to reinstall to factory spec and forward - I will let you know how it goes!

There's not much doubt you've had a browser hijack. Did you run your logs through on the Security forum? The classical, multi-page browser launches that can't be stopped speaks very loud with the voice of malware!

I can lead you through the Event Viewer in Windows XP to try and see if there are Errors we can pinpoint. Another sign of a malware infection is not being able to get some updates. But I'm not sure of which operating system you're actually working with.

Not sure what it was

Did you figure out what caused yours? Been messing with mine since the IE update on Monday - Got tired of it as couldn't seem to find anyone that had any idea what was going on? I tried to restore back to original and it locked up on me so via DOS I formatted my C drive completely. It has taken a while but now I at least can get online at home again YAY! I am still working on figuring out why my Authentication key for my windows XP will not work - emailed them tonight too. But, all is well other than all my lost software/pictures I had on here - thank goodness I back alot up on disk. My system is WAY faster now too! LOL

If anyone knows anything about the key codes to reinstall XP please let me know!

I completely formatted my C drive and reinstalled everything. I have had NO problems since. Hubbys laptop started the IE thing right after auto update to 7.0 - went in and uninstalled it and selected not to ask again. All has been good since with both machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back