Need help with Internet security decision

Xclusiveitalian

My Mcafee security subscription expired so I decided to try other forms of virus/internet protection. I tried a free trial of AVG but I feel like it makes my computer start up a-lot slower? Did anyone else notice that or am I just being paranoid?

Also would it be safe to just use Microsoft Security Essentials?

I've been using Avast! for quite a while - - Avira is good too.

My Mcafee security subscription expired so I decided to try other forms of virus/internet protection. I tried a free trial of AVG but I feel like it makes my computer start up a-lot slower? Did anyone else notice that or am I just being paranoid?

Also would it be safe to just use Microsoft Security Essentials?

I would suggest
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
ALL free

Hi,
learninmypc, sorry if this question seems silly but would you suggest having all 4 of those programs installed and running at same time? or just use one of the 4? thanks.

Hi,
learninmypc, sorry if this question seems silly but would you suggest having all 4 of those programs installed and running at same time? or just use one of the 4? thanks.

Avast definitions auto update, SAS= SUPERantispyware You update definitions before scanning & same with Mbam. I believe ONLY the paid versions of them run by themselves.
Yes,install all of them. I put them on two W 7 laptops over a year ago & they're still running fine. Good luck.

As a rule, any PC needs an Anti-virus program running if you use the internet. It needs to scan any code that's downloaded, including e-mail, for trojans, viruses etc.
It will need to be updated with the latest definitions often, otherwise it cannot defend against the latest trojans, viruses etc.
Programs such as 'Spywareblaster' are 'Run-on-demand'. That is, you choose to scan your pc, and in reality that means you can't do anything else while they are running, could be an hour or more.
So you need one Anti-virus program, no more, but any 'Run-on-demand' program you want to try. Keep in mind they tend to be quite similar to each other so a couple of different programs would be enough.
It's very worthwhile using a firewall, the Windows 7 version seems fine.

I think you that your computer is brand new that's why you are just paranoid isn't it? I've been also through all that when we first bought this computer and I am very defensive about it. Lets get is straight to the problem at first I want to use Norton Anti-virus because I fill safe when I use it. But then when I'm using it I also feel that it takes a large amount of memory in order that my computer is running slow. Then I tried AVG I also like it for it is also good and a bit lighter that Norton Antivirus but the same virus protection. I works very well but eventually it expire and I've format the computer. And now I'm using ESET Nod32 Antivirus it works good. I suggest you should try this one.

I have used many security softwares, and I think of all the ones I have used, Kaspersky Internet Security is the best. The features are poweful and very handy.

It is not for free. But you can download the 30-day trial and see how you like it. I have the 2011 version, but there is also a 2012 edition which is the latest. Here is the link.
I hope this helps.

The free programs are not bad. But if security is a priority, get paid programs. You will have a whole lot of features and support. Kaspersky for example, updates its database every 2-3 days, to keep you secured from all the new threats out there. But, as I said again, free programs are can be used as a makeshift for your security issues.

The free programs are not bad. But if security is a priority, get paid programs. You will have a whole lot of features and support. Kaspersky for example, updates its database every 2-3 days, to keep you secured from all the new threats out there. But, as I said again, free programs are can be used as a makeshift for your security issues.

I'm not going to argue, but free avast self-updates 3 to 4 or more times a day. You only scan once a week anyhow. You can scan more often if you like.

Back