Need help with low fps... :(

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum, sorry for my first post here needing to be something so bad like this... but hell, you are the last guys that I can ask for help, I think.

Well, it all started in less then one month ago, I went travelling, and when I came back, I went to my steam to see the Engineer pack, in TF2, then I noticed that things were really lagging, just put in console net_graph 1 and I could be really sure that 9-10 fps is really low, and I wasn't supposed to be with that, as I used to play with craved 35-40 fps, and 9-10 is totally unplayable :(

Then I checked other games to see if the problem was with them too, yes, from simple CS 1.6, DoD to TF2 and L4D2 :|

So, I decided to format my pc, and didn't work, still getting the same problems, and I noticed that it's in every game, from Single Player to Multi Player!

Another thing that I noticed is that when I play for example, HL2, when I start my pc, I get like 60-70 fps, and then, after 2 minutes of less, it goes down to 10-11... just can't play, if someone could help me, I would be really glad :)

Computer Specs (I know it sucks, but i'm brazillian, things are really expensive here):

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
GeForce 9500GT
2GB of RAM DDR2

Just waiting ;)

It sounds like the machine is overheating, either the CPU or the Video card. Pentium 4 self throttles to prevent damage at high temperatures.

Next best guess (but not a great guess), the PSU is going bad.

I'd go with CaptainCranky above; Your system could well be overheating, causing the extreme lag your getting.

Download HWMonitor, and then run it and start a game. Let us know what temps your getting.

You'd also be wise to remove your cover (from your case) and clean the dust from your case fans, CPU fan, and gpu card.

Hey guys, yeah, I think it really was overheating, I removed the case and I noticed that one of my fans wasn't really working, so I just turned it on and tried again playing HL2.
Yep, performance raised from 10 to 60, thanks for telling me that.

Btw, I will post the temperatures here, just to be sure that if something happens and I get the same problems, you already have something to see:

SYSTIN 38ºC (100 ºF) 37ºC (98ºF) 39ºC (102ºF)
CPUSTIN 44-46ºC (110-112ºF) 44ºC (110ºF) 73ºC (162ºF) [W00T, this is hot :O]
AUXSTIN 47ºC (115-116ºF) 46ºC (114ºF) 51ºC (123ºF)

GPU Core 45ºC (112ºF) 45ºC (112ºF) 59ºC (138ºF)

Just think that the only one that got ****ing hot is the CPUSTIN, but anyway, I think it's fixed, thanks guys, I will post again here in some time to be sure that it got fixed, love ya!

Looks like your CPU was cooking and reaching such a point where it thermally throttles down to stop itself from going past the point of no return.

Which fan wasn't working (I'm guessing the CPU heatsink fan)? It'll be simple enough to replace, but it needs doing before using it again really. If it totally dies you could kill your cpu.

Back