Need help with malicious software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thenoob

I think i might have a keylogger, trojan, or something of the sort. Can you guys please help me get rid of them and check for them? I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Someone will likely come by and ask you to run HijackThis.

But I'd like to know what is happening that you 'think' you might have this malware. Also, do you have an up to date anti-virus program and at least 2 spyware/adware programs that you have scanned with, updating each right before the scan?

C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00450481.ZIP/AlienHandSetup.exe That is the file it is in but I can't find it.

Make sure you quarantine that file. That should at least render it useless. Sometimes you don't need to remove the file, just make sure it can't do anything!

I quarantined it, but now it doesn't show up under quarantined items. Any other way I can check to see if there are other keyloggers or spyware?

You can try other anti-malware utilities if you want but I recommend that 1 anti-virus and 3 anti-spyware are enough. I also recommend AVG anti-rootkit.

Did you try removing it in Safe Mode?

No, not yet, after i finish these scans I'm going to run spy-bot, avg anti-spyware and rootkit, then probably norton too all in safe mode. Think that will be sufficient?

Yes, that's sufficient.

I notice you have Norton. They have an extensive web site where they list manual methods for removing known malware. You can check that to see what else you can do.

This is a strange one! Had to translate sites in France for any info:

1. Suggest you do search on system for .tmp and .temp files> Edit> Select All> Delete You may first have to open folder, delete files individually.

2. I found evidence that it came in on a screensaver:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Grand Canyon Scenic Reflections.scr - > Downloader.Agent.awt:
3.. Look for this in your system. Use 'scr' first. If found, try right click> Delete or search for the screensaver and remove it.
If it doesn't show above> Right click on start> Explore> Windows> System32> Grand Canyon.......> right click> Delete

3.. The NProtect folder is a Norton component; specifically, it's the folder where the Norton Protected Recycle Bin feature stores items you delete:C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00450481.ZIP/AlienHandSetup.exe

To delete this folder:
Disabling the Norton Protected Recycle Bin should delete the items Norton has stored in the Recycler folder:> See reply by DMR (Wombat at large) about 2/3 down on this site:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread52383.html

4. The only way you can check your system for all malware is using HijackThis. Look for the appropriate location here for directions to run program and post log.

5. Evidence it got in System Restores so you need to turn off SR to drop all on system.>After you're clean> restart:
Control Panel> System> System Restore tab> click to CHECK 'Turn off system Restore> Apply> OK. Reverse to start it again.

I found a huge list of things when I searched for .tmp. Should I delete them all? Hijack this report inc soon. Should I run it in safe mode?

Bobbye said:
3.. The NProtect folder is a Norton component; specifically, it's the folder where the Norton Protected Recycle Bin feature stores items you delete:C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00450481.ZIP/AlienHandSetup.exe

That's the problem!! I had this with a customer recently.

Norton has a new feature that prevents Windows from deleting anything Norton considers "protected" (it thinks is important.) You need to go into Recycling Bin and manually flush that yourself or disable the feature in Norton Internet Security.

Thx Bobbye!! Good call!!

Deleting .tmp files is safe although you might find some of your programs have lost recent settings and info.

Go ahead.

Run HijackThis in both modes.

Safe Mode has a feature that is both an advantage and disadvantage. One feature of Safe Mode is that it removes or relaxes Windows security features. Certain malware takes advantages of flaws in security features to prevent them from being detected and/or removed. By removing/relaxing the security features, they can now be detected and removed. The disadvantage of Safe Mode is that only a subset of Windows is used. Since some malware runs out of optional components, you may be able to detect it in Normal Mode but not remove it. In Safe Mode, it's not running, hence, you can't detect it. So, you're hosed!!

Here is the regular one.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:40:59 PM, on 8/5/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (removed info)If you need this let me know.
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (removed info)If you need this let me know.
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1137811315\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\MediaDetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CTXFISPI.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
c:\program files\common files\aol\1137811315\ee\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NAVW32.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: GoogleAFE - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\Program Files\GoogleAFE\GoogleAE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDrvEmulator] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" -1 AudioDrvEmulator "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\Audio Emulator\AudDrvEm.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1137811315\ee\AOLSoftware.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTXFIREG] C:\My Music\drivers\audio\addon\common\i386\CTxfiReg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\MediaDetect.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Launch\AOLLaunch.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Express Cleanup - {5E638779-1818-4754-A595-EF1C63B87A56} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Cleanup\WCQuick.lnk
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Express Cleanup - {5E638779-1818-4754-A595-EF1C63B87A56} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Cleanup\WCQuick.lnk
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://download.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,101/mcinsctl.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton UnErase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--
End of file - 11147 bytes

Here is the log when i ran it in safemode.

Moderator Edit: Please post your HijackThis log as an attachment to this thread. Do not copy and paste if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Hi,

That log looks clean. However, I need to see one from normal mode to be sure.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back