Need help with new build $600-700

What are you going to use the PC for?
My hopes are to be able to play games like D3/BF3 I also watch a lot of movies (some HD)
How much is your budget?
$600-700
Where are you located? (a.k.a. fill out your profile)
US, Stockton CA
Are you willing to buy online?
Yes, I don't even know if there are any retailers nearby that sell individual parts
Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build?
I can reuse my old cd/dvd burner, mouse, and monitor
Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
keyboard, not sure if there's anything else
Have you already bought any parts?
No, still haven't gotten past the planning stage of the build
Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
Yes
Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
Since I don't plan on overclocking from the start I don't think cooling will be a major issue, later on if I decide to overclock I'll get some aftermarket fans.

This is my first build and I really need some insight from more experienced builders.So far these are the parts I've picked out, still need PSU. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bpYD

I'm also considering doing a crossfire of the same video card and adding a SSD later on and would like to know if that is too much or worth it. Anything you guys feel I should remove, change, or add I would love to know (as I have no clue what I'm doing).

You don't need a K series processor if you're not going to overclock. The non-K version should be slightly cheaper.

Get a 2x4GB kit instead of a 1x8GB, it's slightly cheaper, the timings are tighter on the 4GB modules and you get the benefit of dual channel RAM.

The Corsair TX750V2 is a great PSU, and will easily run a 7770 CF setup.

An SSD is absolutely worth it, the 128GB Samsung 830 is at a great price point and if you can pony up the money now it would save you reinstalling your OS later.

Thanks for the adivce, the 1 stick of ram vs 2 has been a bit confusing for me. The site I found it on the k series is actually cheaper (just needs in-store pickup) and I while I don't plan on overclocking from the start its nice to have the option later on.

I'll watch the SSDs since I'm not really in a hurry and since I reinstall my OS every 2 years or so anyways it works out nicely. One bit I'd like to know about it is if it actually improves game performance or if its just for the OS

An SSD won't improve gaming performance but it will reduce load times. The biggest benefit is just general computing performance and snappiness.

Thanks for the adivce, the 1 stick of ram vs 2 has been a bit confusing for me. The site I found it on the k series is actually cheaper (just needs in-store pickup) and I while I don't plan on overclocking from the start its nice to have the option later on.

If you are talking about Microcenter then you should stick with the K version, they always have the best processor price and bundle it with a Z68/Z77 motherboard for an additional $50 off. You can grab this configuration $600 / $700 Custom Gaming PC Build and pay them a visit, the sale guy there should be able to match you the best price for each component.

One thing I didn't account for was i5-2500ks' popularity, it just sold out as I was getting ready to buy it. Since I technically hadn't planned on overclocking I'll end up going back to a non-k series cpu. With a PCIe 3 motherboard, 7770 GPU, and an ivy bridge cpu should work better anyway.

With the new development I'll probably go with a i5-3450 and with that I took a second look at the motherboard and decided to change it to a ASRock Z75 Pro3 which seems like a better choice. I also went with a non-OC 7770, don't think 150mhz is worth $25.

In total I made 3 changes to the build, (cpu/mobo/gpu) my new build is; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bBEX I really need a second opinion, should I stick with the old build and wait for the 2500k to restock or get the 3450 while its only $150?

(this is my old build with the power supply http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bwY4) difference between the old and new build is about $100 ($70 if the 2500k is restocked)

If you are talking about Microcenter then you should stick with the K version, they always have the best processor price and bundle it with a Z68/Z77 motherboard for an additional $50 off. You can grab this configuration $600 / $700 Custom Gaming PC Build and pay them a visit, the sale guy there should be able to match you the best price for each component.

Microcenter does price match and bundles, that would make my build a worlds easier.Is there a way of doing it online tho?

Back