Need help with new desktop build

Jskid

Here's the specs guys. The two potential problems are: I'm not sure if the memory is compatible and I'm not sure if the power supply is enough. I would be using this for watching HD videos and coding. In addition to background programs, I would only have 1 or 2 programs running at once. This will have Windows 7 64bit, 24 in. monitor, usb keyboard and mouse.

i would say the psu would be abit low w depending on what your using computer for and depending on what graphics card your putting in

the RAM is compatible. I would upgrade your mobo to a z68 chipset and up the power supply to 550-650w. If you bought the Antec 300 case you could use the difference in $ to up the PSU and mobo. Those prices seem a little high on the CPU and PSU. I bought two i5 2500k chips for builds last week for $179.99 each (Asus p8z68v lx, 2500k and Windows Pro 64bit @ $300 bundle price)

the RAM is compatible. I would upgrade your mobo to a z68 chipset and up the power supply to 550-650w. If you bought the Antec 300 case you could use the difference in $ to up the PSU and mobo. Those prices seem a little high on the CPU and PSU. I bought two i5 2500k chips for builds last week for $179.99 each (Asus p8z68v lx, 2500k and Windows Pro 64bit @ $300 bundle price)

How about the Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 Power Supply for $70 and Asus P8Z68-M PRO w/ DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E, CrossFireX for $140. I've already got Geforce GTX 550 Fermi.

How about the Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 Power Supply for $70 and Asus P8Z68-M PRO w/ DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E, CrossFireX for $140. I've already got Geforce GTX 550 Fermi.

Not the system I would build for encoding/watching movies, but it will work. Why the micro-ATX motherboard and not a full ATX? Do you plan on playing games?

I built this for myself last week.
Antec 300 case ($40)
Asus p8z68-v-lx
i5 2500k (bundled with the Asus MoBo for $250)
Corsair 650w ($80)
optical DVD-R drive ($20)
500Gig WD Caviar Black HDD ($99)
Xigmatek CPU cooler ($20)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Total $510 (plus a few bucks for SATA cable, zip ties, etc...) and I have a computer that will encode and burn a 2gig file in 15min and can play Skyrim, Saints Row 3, etc.. on medium settings with no external graphics card (waiting for a good deal on one). You can add/change parts but this is to give you an idea.

Not the system I would build for encoding/watching movies, but it will work. Why the micro-ATX motherboard and not a full ATX? Do you plan on playing games?

I built this for myself last week.
Antec 300 case ($40)
Asus p8z68-v-lx
i5 2500k (bundled with the Asus MoBo for $250)
Corsair 650w ($80)
optical DVD-R drive ($20)
500Gig WD Caviar Black HDD ($99)
Xigmatek CPU cooler ($20)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Total $510 (plus a few bucks for SATA cable, zip ties, etc...) and I have a computer that will encode and burn a 2gig file in 15min and can play Skyrim, Saints Row 3, etc.. on medium settings with no external graphics card (waiting for a good deal on one). You can add/change parts but this is to give you an idea.
Which motherboard do you recommend? http://www.memoryexpress.com/SystemConfig/Default.aspx

It's dual channel RAM in your initial choice of mobo (Asus P8P67 M Pro). Looks like you only have one 4GB stick selected. You should add another 4GB stick.

It's dual channel RAM in your initial choice of mobo (Asus P8P67 M Pro). Looks like you only have one 4GB stick selected. You should add another 4GB stick.
They don't have the one I wanted. How about Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) for $53. How come the same one but with CL8 is so much more expensive?

Save monry by changing your case

If it were me I would save money and buy a differnet case and invest the money in a higher wattage PSU & also upgrade to a full ATX Z68 mobo. You can pickup the following case for $20 after rebater and the 620w PSU for $50 after rebate. I have used several of these cases in full ATX builds and have been very happy with them. They offer plenty of drive storage and provide excellent ventilation. Invest your money in the hardware that will really make the system better and more upgradable in the future.

Xigmatek ASGARD II B/S CPC-T45UD-U01
Antec NEO ECO 620C

They don't have the one I wanted. How about Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) for $53. How come the same one but with CL8 is so much more expensive?

The Vengeance 8GB kit should work. While it's not listed in the manual, it has the same spec as the G.skill kit.

Basically, CL8 is faster - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26/3

That's more important when it comes to OC. However, using as is,I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make in video encoding.

Cheaper case? What cases are sturdy and I really like a window. I can add my own leds latter right?

Cheaper case? What cases are sturdy and I really like a window. I can add my own leds latter right?

Unless you are very good with cable management I would save the extra $40+ it costs for a window and add a front bay fan controller or scrap the HDD and with the $ you save from the window get a SSD drive for almost the same price and add a mechanical drive when prices go back to normal. LED fan can be added at anytime. Really think about the SSD Drive, mechanical drives are soon becoming a thing of the past. You can always turn an old HDD into external storage.

Unless you are very good with cable management I would save the extra $40+ it costs for a window and add a front bay fan controller or scrap the HDD and with the $ you save from the window get a SSD drive for almost the same price and add a mechanical drive when prices go back to normal. LED fan can be added at anytime. Really think about the SSD Drive, mechanical drives are soon becoming a thing of the past. You can always turn an old HDD into external storage.
Yes but I can easily upgrade the HD to a SSD where as a case would be hard to upgrade. Currently large SSD are very expensive.

What's a front bay fan controller?

How about the Asus P8Z68-V LE w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX mobo for $130?

I try to get what you guys recommend but they're out of stock :(

How about the Asus P8Z68-V LE w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E, Quad CrossFireX mobo for $130?

I try to get what you guys recommend but they're out of stock :(

I'd go for the Asus P8Z68-V LX if you can get one, or the V-PRO

They were out of stock and I had to get the Asus P8Z68-V LE, is that ok or should I tell them to change it?

I got a 120mm fan. Is that enough?

They were out of stock and I had to get the Asus P8Z68-V LE, is that ok or should I tell them to change it?

I got a 120mm fan. Is that enough?
Only difference over the P8Z68-V is the LE has 2 less USB2.0(internal I believe), no bluetooth, no eSATA on the back panel and 1 less PCI slot....oh and it's $40 cheaper and that $40 can be spent on other components.

The LE is fine. If you buy a HDD now for $100 and a SSD in 6 months for $125 ($225 total) OR you buy the same SSD drive now for $125 and the SAME HDD in 6 months for $30 ($155 total) you would be getting a much better deal and built. You can get a 125g SSD for $125 which will be plenty of storage. You don't need another fan, use that $ for the SSD.

*The Asus P8Z68-V LE and LX don't have eSATA on the back panel. If you want a eSATA port on the back you will need one of these.
http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23329

Back