Need help with PSU choice

Great1122

Hi guys,
I've recently bought new parts for my old dying PC and they are:
EVGA gtx 670
i5 3570k
AsRock z77 extreme4
Gskill 1066 8gb ram.
They should come within the next week, so I need to know if my current OCZ sxs 500 watt psu is enough here is the link to the psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012
Any help is appreciated thanks.
I'd rather not spend anymore money right now so I'm hoping my current psu is enough for my build as it is(not thinking about future improvements right now).
Also, I'm willing to spend on an cpu cooler if the OC brings a huge difference($30-40 max on cpu cooler), I have lancool k63 case which comes with 5 fans default if that helps.

You'll need a new power supply. Yours comes with a 4 pin CPU power connector and you'll need an 8 pin to power that. Additionally you'll need 2 PCI-Express connectors, though you could get by with converting a molex connector for that. Lastly, while 500w might squeeze by, I'd be concerned with only having 18A per 12v rail, unless you make sure the PCI-Express cable and whatever molex you use to convert are on different rails. My 500w OCZ Modstream has enough connectors for everything, but It also has only 18A per rail. I personally would upgrade to a higher capacity power supply too, whenever I upgrade my Videocard.

edit: maybe something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

At least from newegg, it is not going to get too much cheaper. :(

I wouldn't run anything on an OCZ PSU, especially their lower end ones. Those two PSUs madboy suggested are very good, a PSU is really something you shouldn't cheap out on, a good one will last you several builds.

The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO is a nice cheap cooler.

Ok, so I don't have an 8-pin to power the cpu fan/cpu and would need to use a molex converter for the extra pci express converter. I guess going the new psu route is the only thing that'll correct the 8-pin thing, so I'll get the corsair. Also slh, do you think that the aftermarket cooler is absolutely necessary, like will the overclock bring a huge performance boost. Also, if I get the cooler master, how much will I be able to overclock with it?

Overclocking doesn't necessarily beget HUGE performance boosts, but if you do it an aftermarket cooler is essentially a must (though not necessarily required), and depending on how far you go (and the surrounding ambient temperature) liquid cooling may be required for "comfortable operation." Most decent aftermarket coolers will cool leaps and bounds around the stock cooler while operating with lower noise anyways.

As for how much you'll be able to overclock, how far are you comfortable to go at what temperatures? That would be the better question because the heatsink, to a certain degree, is not the limiting factor in overclocking, but the users comfort level in doing so.

Overclocking doesn't necessarily beget HUGE performance boosts, but if you do it an aftermarket cooler is essentially a must (though not necessarily required), and depending on how far you go (and the surrounding ambient temperature) liquid cooling may be required for "comfortable operation." Most decent aftermarket coolers will cool leaps and bounds around the stock cooler while operating with lower noise anyways.

As for how much you'll be able to overclock, how far are you comfortable to go at what temperatures? That would be the better question because the heatsink, to a certain degree, is not the limiting factor in overclocking, but the users comfort level in doing so.

I'm pretty comfortable with overclocking (would have done overclocked my current cpu but my motherboard didn't support it). , as for surrounding temperatures, My case has 4x 140 mm fans (2 in front for intake, and two on top for exhaust) and one 120 mm fan on the back, temperatures right now on my amd regor 245 (w/ Stock cooler) is 36-37 degrees Celsius at 1.34V . As for room temperature, it's pretty cool right now but I'm sure that'll change over the summer; I would guess temperature ranging from low 80's to mid 90's degrees Fahrenheit during the summer. So what are your suggestions on cooling for lets say getting the 3570k to 3.9 - 4.2 ghz.

Even if you weren't overclocking you should get an aftermarket HSF to keep your temps down and prolong the life of your CPU. But since you're comfortable with OCing then $30 is not much at all to spend to get a nice speed bump.

4.2Ghz should be easy, any higher than 4.5Ghz then the Ivy Bridge chips suddenly start to get quite hot a require a lot more voltage. I'd say aim for around 4.2Ghz on the lowest stable voltage you can manage.

Don't worry about overclocking, you didn't buy the memory for it.
Memory is irrelevant when it comes to overclocking SB/IB K series processors. All he needs to change is the multiplier, the FSB stays the same.

As far as the PSU choice is concerned:

Top brands are Seasonic, XFX and Corsair (TX/HX & AX Series)

Wattage: Calculate your total power consumption. Add 10% to that.

Also look at the no. of connectors you need for your video card and stuff.

Even if you weren't overclocking you should get an aftermarket HSF to keep your temps down and prolong the life of your CPU. But since you're comfortable with OCing then $30 is not much at all to spend to get a nice speed bump.

4.2Ghz should be easy, any higher than 4.5Ghz then the Ivy Bridge chips suddenly start to get quite hot a require a lot more voltage. I'd say aim for around 4.2Ghz on the lowest stable voltage you can manage.
OK, how is this cooler, think it'll serve my needs.

As far as the PSU choice is concerned:

Top brands are Seasonic, XFX and Corsair (TX/HX & AX Series)

Wattage: Calculate your total power consumption. Add 10% to that.

Also look at the no. of connectors you need for your video card and stuff.

[FONT=Arial]That is only Partially true. First off all of those except for the Corsair TX/HX (which are CWT) are actually SeaSonic. The XFXs and The Corsair AX series are OEMed by SeaSonic. Secondly SeaSonic also makes PSUs for other manufactures such as the Antec HCG (High Current Gamer) series and PC Power & Cooling Silencer/ Silencer MKIII. Third there are other good manufactures other than SeaSonic such as Delta and Enermax. The full list of top PSU brands looks more like this: Antec (HCG/HCP are top end SeaSonic and Delta OEMed, EA and NEOEco are also good but not top of the line, VP450 is good for budget builds), Corsair (The SeaSonic built AX and TX V2 are top end, the CWT built TX,HX,GX are ok but I don't fully trust CWT, avoid the builder series), Delta (Delta branded units are rarely found retail, but delta is one of the largest and best PSU OEMs), Enermax (Note: The NAXAN line is not actually made by Enermax although they are sold under the Enermax name, NAXANs are decent but not top of the line), FSP (AURUM this is FSPs top of the line series, lower end FSPs are good but not top of the line), LEPA (G series made by Enermax), PC Power & Cooling (Silencer/Silencer MKIII made by SeaSonic, avoid the Silencer MKII series which is built by Sifra, Turbo-Cools are the best desktop PSUs you can buy but are very expensive), SeaSonic (Also one of the largest and best OEMs, unlike Delta SeaSonic branded units can be found in retail), XFX (All XFX units are built by SeaSonic), Zippy/Emacs (one of the best PSU OEMs around, but they mainly specialize in server units, the few desktop units that exist are very expensive).[/FONT]

Just putting this out there, all of my non-ATX PSUs have been FSP and they do the company justice in my opinion. =)

Already bought the second one thanks for your help though.
Just putting this out there, all of my non-ATX PSUs have been FSP and they do the company justice in my opinion. =)
Might be the next brand name but I'll take my chances with corsair, I know they're really good with psus.

Back