Need help with selecting a laptop hard drive for a Sony VAIO

sarasa1989

Hello,
So my laptop's hard drive needs to be replaced. I need help finding one in that I'm looking for something that may last. My lap top model number is VPCF126FM and it is a song vaio. I know very little about computers, but we were hoping to buy one and have someone put it in. We just wanna make sure our person doesn't put a crappy part in so we would rather buy it for him to replace with us present. I know that seems like overkill... Anyways all I know is that any SATA hard drive should do, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Tough right now. The top seven hard drive factories in the world were under water in a National flood from September to December... and the prices of what drives are still available have gone way up... Only Toshiba, as far as I know, escaped the flood.
You need to know if your current hard drive is and IDE or SATA, first.
Your best choices are Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba. Avoid Hitachi, Samsung, Maxtor, and any other brands. Then try to find something in the 160 GB to 250 GB if long term use is important. You can find laptop SATA hard drives these days from 80 GB to 800 GB, but be prepared to pay a premium. Were it my computer, I would look for a 250 GB Western Digital black, or Toshiba, or Seagate, or Western Digital Green in that order. I would not install any other brand. There are good online stores in USA, Great Britain, France, Canada, and several other countries.
So tell us more.

The hard disk is a 5,400RPM, 3Gbp/s SATA model.

First of all, do you actually need one that size or bigger again?

Installing the hard disk is going to be pretty easy for nearly all modern laptops. I would recommend you save the few quid it will cost and do it yourself. You really cannot do it wrong, just take your time and it will be fine.

As per Raybay's comments, hard disk prices are higher than the previous lows due to problems with flooding in Thailand. However, if you don't need such a large disk you can save a few dollars and get something smaller. 250/320GB is usually plenty for most home users, unless your using the laptop for gaming, or store a lot of videos and music on it.

A quick Google found the hard disk replacement instructions courtesy of Sony USA's website: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/989201341_VPCF1_series_HDD_CRU.pdf

Back