Need help with some strange problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that has a Compaq Pres. 3100 desktop running an AMD processor, Windows XP Home Edit. 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600. We uninstalled some un-important programs and the computer would not finish starting up. It did the Compaq screen then the Windows start up screen then a VERY fast blue screen and started all over again. We started it in safe mode & went back to a date when it as fine and it's back to normal. We did this twice - the uninstalling of some programs with the same result. The programs weren't anything that he even used so I don't get that part. THEN, I installed Microsoft Office XP and the computer doesn't list it in the programs list. It is however in the 'add & remove programs' list. Any suggestions??

Definately sounds to be a Windows corruption
It is possible for a faulty HardDrive (bad spots etc) but less likely

I would start by saying: Backup any user data to external media first

It may be best to run the following command (having your Windows CD handy if asked)

Start-->Run--> sfc /scannow

Running this command, Windows will confirm all system files are correct, and if not, it will ask for the Windows CD. Note: normally this will not cause any further issues (on its own) But I do suggest the backup idea before hand

Regarding Office.
You should be able to Repair Office in the Add\Remove Programs list

Please let me know how it all goes

Thanks Kimsland. By user data you mean pictures, documents, etc. that may be important correct?
I'm not sure that the original Windows disk that came with this computer can be located. How would you get around that?

Thanks Kimsland. By user data you mean pictures, documents, etc. that may be important correct?
I'm not sure that the original Windows disk that came with this computer can be located. How would you get around that?

google the model number of the pc or better yet look it up on hp website. Find out if it has a restore partition. If it does you dont need the CD if it does not you can order it from hp/compaq. Otherwise you will have to use a regular XP CD and install drivers/apps yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back