Need help with the Drive Cleanup Tool

justgeorge

Awhile back I had some problems with drivers. LookinAround gave me a tool to try. I finally got my new hard drive in and stuff loaded. (Changed from Vista to Windows 7. Somewhere along the way I loaded some drivers that are creating problems.
Here is my problem I downloaded the tool to the desktop, unzipped it, then copied it to the system32 folder. When I went to check it it transfered but with no ".exe". I tried the command prompt without the exe. No go, then I went back and added the .exe to the drivecleanup folder. Tried to run it again, still no go. I must be doing something wrong but am not sure what. I took a shot of the process. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• cleanup tool.jpg
    cleanup tool.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 3
it will repair the registry association of exe so it can be recognized

exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20100414
Run at 21:46:09 on 01/10/11
Now searching...
Checking for numerical processes...
Checking for sysguard processes...
Checking for bad processes...
Checking for bad files...
Checking for bad registry entries...
Resetting filetype association for .exe
Resetting filetype association for .com
Resetting userinit and shell values...
Resetting policies...
--Finished--

a log file created by ExeHelper.

if you want to repair the registry try Registry Life http://www.chemtable.com/RegistryLife.htm

I have yet to see any program gearing at changing the Registry as anything but pure evil. That is why I am now running Windows 7. My Vista Registry got so corrupt that even the Microsoft Tech's couldn't straighten it out. We tried for months doing repair installs, I learned my lesson, I'm not touching the registry this time. I still have a paid subscription to Registry Mechanic and I didn't even install it this time.

I'm looking for some help with the DriveCleanup Tool, I'll give LookinAround a shout and see if he remembers the post.

Hi again JG :wave:

Is very most likely you didn't copy the file correctly and its not found is your problem

Recommend you 1st change a Windows option (i like to keep it this way myself)
Ctl Panel->Folder Options->View, then uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, click OK

Now verify that file C:\Windows\system32\drivecleanup.exe is really there (upper/lower case makes no difference)

Hi
How ya been?
Well I followed the steps for Ctl Panel->Folder Options->View, then uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, clicked OK
When I went to verify it this is what I found (below)
When I unzip the file am I supposed to copy it directly to the system32 folder? I tried that and it put it on the desktop. Couldn't find it in system32 anywhere. I then tried to copy it form the desktop to system32 and no .exe????
George

Attachments

• no exe.jpg
    no exe.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2
Quoted from your other thread
I thought that if I could get the DriveCleanup thing working I could get rid of a rouge driver.
Several things
> DriveCleanup will only remove USB storage drivers. I don't know what "rogue driver" is involved here or that DriveCleanup tool will apply

> Re: using the tool
You've copied the folder, not the file, into C:/Windows/system32

Re-read the instructions: [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

you need to first determine if you're 32 or 64 bit Windows,
then open the folder. It includes two versions of the same filename drivecleanup.exe. You need to copy either the 32 or 64 bit version of file named drivecleanup.exe

Sorry, How are you at fixing stupid???:haha: THANKS for the help. Casn't believe I copied the whole thing. DUH

Ran it and got the little suckers. I knew the problem was with that stupid external drive. I don't know why you can't just buy a plain old HD, not one loaded down with stuff you don't want but is required to run the damn thing. I'm going to erase the thing and just put in the driver.
If I updated the firmware, can I just write it to zeros, or won't it get rid of the update? (External Drive)

Attachments

• Got them.jpg
    Got them.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1
No worries :)

As i recall from another thread, WD had instructions on their website telling you how to disable that auto-backup function on that WD external. Just follow their instructions. Then delete any files on the WD drive you don't want. No need to write zeros onto everything

Back