TechSpot

Need help with upgrading motherboard

By Dennis_84
Feb 15, 2006
  1. Hello,
    I am trying to upgrading my motherboard but I don't know what kind do I need.
    currently I have asus 754 socket motherboard, but that doesn't have pci-e slot in it, and I need the one with pci-e slot in it. so my question is, can I use any socket, like 939 socket ot any other socket or do I have to buy 754 socket? and what is the other stuff that I need to look in it before I buy it? I really appriciate your help. Thanks guys.

Other system specs:
    AMD 3200+ 2.2 ghz
    1 GB ram
    bfg 7800 gs agp video card
    120 GB hard drive

2. s3xynanigoat

s3xynanigoat TS Rookie Posts: 141

If I am not mistaken, a socket 754 is actually referring to a socket 478 motherboard. If this is the case, you will not be able to find a socket 478 with a PCI-e slot. I am only going off of memory on this so I may be incorrect.

EDIT * Bleh, I am wrong. My appologies and please do not consider this post when making your decision.

3. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

If you want to use your current processor (754) you will need a motherboard that supports the 754 socket. The other problem is finding a motherboard with PCI Express and an AGP slot for your graphics card. I only found 1 on Newegg, the Jetway 754GT-P-EC.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.