Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have big probelm with ide drives on my sata mobo. last night i recevied my 80GB sata hdd installed it while i had ide drives set as my master drives then so today i take out the ide drives removed the pices on the hdd ide drive set it to slave left unplugged installed the sata drive work'd like a charm but i went to plugg in the ide which is set as slave i recve an error message Boot configuration i fixed it so Sata run before my two 60 gb IDe drive can anyone help me thnxs InSane

InSane said:
I have big probelm with ide drives on my sata mobo. last night i recevied my 80GB sata hdd installed it while i had ide drives set as my master drives then so today i take out the ide drives removed the pices on the hdd ide drive set it to slave left unplugged installed the sata drive work'd like a charm but i went to plugg in the ide which is set as slave i recve an error message Boot configuration i fixed it so Sata run before my two 60 gb IDe drive can anyone help me thnxs InSane

Maybe English is your second language, but you have to clarify this. I don't understand after a couple of times trying to read it and I think you can start by adding some periods. . . . . .

My interpretation is...

You got a new 80GB SATA HDD.
You changed your jumpers on the IDE drive(s) to slave (I have no idea why, you don't need to change IDE jumpers to install a new SATA).
You installed your SATA drive, which works.
You plug in your IDE drive again, but the computer wants to boot from SATA, not IDE.
You fixed it and you can now boot from SATA.
The end.

InSane said:
ok how do i add 2 ide drives to a mobo that has Sata based OS System

One IDE drive is master, the other is slave. Plug them into the same IDE cable and it they will work.

You can try just ONE IDE drive at a time. Set to Single Master (Or just Master, depending on what jumpers are available), place it at the end of a single IDE cable and it should work like a charm.

Check the BIOS to make sure it is installed. If you use Windows to check, you may need to create a partition first for it to become visible.

Rick said:
Maybe English is your second language, but you have to clarify this. I don't understand after a couple of times trying to read it and I think you can start by adding some periods. . . . . .

My interpretation is...

You got a new 80GB SATA HDD.
You changed your jumpers on the IDE drive(s) to slave (I have no idea why, you don't need to change IDE jumpers to install a new SATA).
You installed your SATA drive, which works.
You plug in your IDE drive again, but the computer wants to boot from SATA, not IDE.
You fixed it and you can now boot from SATA.
The end.
Ok first off English is not a second language to me First. and what i tried to say was that i want to install my ide drive back on to my pc but have them as secondry drives, Sata as my primary drive but i recieve an error when i try to boot the Pc with the ide connected

Pretty much all mobo's will want to boot from ide by default, all you have to do is tell the bios that you want to boot from the sata after adding the ide's and all should work fine together.

Here's a guess.

Your SATA drive is installed on a SATA controller. Sometimes this controller (even when onboard) appears to the BIOS as a 3rd party add-in card. You may need to specify booting from a 3rd party host controller.

Tip: If your BIOS lets you select the drive by its name (Like say, Seagate ST800694 blah blah) then we know this is not the issue, but not all BIOS setups do this.

... And this might sound silly, but your new SATA drive needs to have an OS installed on it or at least a boot record (aka. MBR & boot sector) to be acknowledged by the BIOS as a bootable device during boot. Otherwise your BIOS will move on to the next bootable drive, which would probably be your IDE drives.

Maybe English is your second language
I hope that didn't sound too rude. We have a lot of nationalities on this forum, so one can never be too sure. It probably did sound rude though, and I apologize. :eek:

here my pc layout

1.MOBO
- 1.5 GB DDR Ram
- 80 GB Sata HDD Western Digital
-60 GB Ide HDD Maxtor
-20 GB Ide HDD Western Digital
- Liton x16 DVD DL Burner

InSane said:
i want both ide on there tho

I'm not sure I follow you.

[quote[ok how do i add 2 ide drives to a mobo that has Sata based OS System[/quote]You have Windows installed on a SATA drive. You cannot see your IDE drives in Windows, is that right?

All you have to do is plug your IDE drives in. There's no configuration necessary. If your IDE drives do not show up in your BIOS, then you need to check your cables, jumper settings and hardware. Those are the only things that can go wrong (basically). The only configuration necessary is physical and there's nothing in the BIOS you're supposed to change.

If both of them are not working together, try adding one drive at a time as master on its own IDE cable. Can you see it by itself? If you can't see it, what does Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc show you in Windows?

1.MOBO
- 1.5 GB DDR Ram
- 80 GB Sata HDD Western Digital
-60 GB Ide HDD Maxtor
-20 GB Ide HDD Western Digital
- Liton x16 DVD DL Burner
Because I don't think I understand you, what part of this isn't working? It sounds like you have Windows installed on your SATA and your IDE drives aren't showing up. Are all of your drives detected by the System BIOS and the SATA controller BIOS? If not, which ones don't work? Which ones DO work? Can you boot to your SATA drive? Can you boot to your IDE drive? Have you installed Windows yet?

ok my pc will only reconize the maxtor drive and western ide drive not sata. can i set Primary Slave and Secondary Slave on the jumpers and in the bios

You need to be far far more descriptive with your problem.
Here is some information we need in order to help.
Your pc has 1 sata and 2 ide's with 2 plugs on each cable right?
So your sata drive will be connected to your sata cable, thats the one thing we can be sure of!!!
What we need to know is where the ide drives are plugged in? Are they both on one data cable together? Or is one of them on the other cable?
We need to know whether the drives are on the end or the middle plugs and exactly how the jumpers are set for each one.

As an example, drive 1 could be connected to the end plug of data cable 1 and set to master!!!!!

You need to be very specific and accurate in your description if you want our help.

What we need to know is where the ide drives are plugged in? Are they both on one data cable together? Or is one of them on the other cable?
ok both are on one cable pluged into HDD ide hook on my pc Sata is running my os thats working great i just am hot swaping my HDD because the both won't run on the same ide cable or will it by jumper settings?

That was only half the information i asked for, how have you set the jumpers on the drives?? If both are set to master or both are set to slave then they will not work together on the same cable. But if however, the drive on the end of the cable is set to master and the other is set to slave then they will work together fine. Or better still, set them both to cable select then your mobo will assign master and slave automatically.

ok thank you bro it worked thnxs alot sorry you guys could not understand what i was saying ealier Thnxs Again InSane

Hmm, If you are intending to boot from the sata drive set it to master and move your XP files onto the HDD. Worked for me...

Oh btw, Please explain yourself more clearly next time you post.. You just seem to lead onto some random junk over and over which never seemed to make sense. Thanks

do not mix IDE with SATA. Use one type or the other. Windows will get confused from time during errors and default to writing the OS on IDE drives.

Well im running 1 200gig sata, 1 80gig ata, and 1 40gig ata with absolutely no problems at all!!!!!!

200gig on primary sata, 40gig and 80gig ata on primary ata both set to cable select, and cd burner and dvd rom on secondary ata both set to cable select.
Ata is the modern name for ide btw.
Once it was all setup, all i had to do was go into my bios and set the boot sequence to cdrom then sata hard drive.

rik said:
200gig on primary sata, 40gig and 80gig ata on primary ata both set to cable select, and cd burner and dvd rom on secondary ata both set to cable select.
Ata is the modern name for ide btw.
Once it was all setup, all i had to do was go into my bios and set the boot sequence to cdrom then sata hard drive.

It really is that simple InSane,
I have set up many SATA/IDE systems this way. If anyone tells you that SATA and IDE don't mix, they are just wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back