Need helping pick out a new video card that's compatible with my motherboard

By DrekSilver
Dec 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,385   +12

Bit confused, that's a PCIe which you will need for any modern card and as a 6850 owner I'm having no frame rate issues with Skyrim. What resolution are you trying to play at? What are the problems you are encountering?
  2. DrekSilver

DrekSilver Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

Oh no, I haven't personally bought Skyrim yet, but I ran Skyrim and Saints Row The Third on CanYouRunIt.com (as I do with all my games before I buy them) and with both of them the recommended Video RAM WAS 1GB, while I only have 734MB. The rest of my computer surpasses the normal recommended requirements.

But I suppose if you're saying you have no trouble with it, maybe I have nothing to worry about. Do you run on max settings or something slightly lower?
  3. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,385   +12

I personally run Skyrim on customized settings but it's pretty much everything maxed minus shadow and I tone down AA as those tend to be the biggest performance killers. You'll have to find a balance of what works best for you at whatever resolution you play. I use 1680x1050 so most games on the market I can max out with some AA balance.

Bethesda recommends an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB for best performance and the 6850 exceeds that and is a 1GB card. So given whatever CPU you have (assuming i5 2500k) paired with that card and you'll be fine.
  4. DrekSilver

DrekSilver Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

Alright thanks mate, I guess I can stick with my current :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.