Need info about underclocking a AMD 720BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BMfan

This is what i need to know,i can underclock my cpu to 0,9v and 800mhz using AOD or put it to 1,175v and 3000mhz also using AOD now what i need to know is if my cpu uses 30% at 800mhz and say 8% at 3000mhz which is the better setting to use.

Is it better to use more of the cpu at a slower speed or less at a faster speed?
At both speeds it is stable and my system.

Hi,

Lets look at it a different way. I give you $1000 to go buy a PC and when you get to the store there are only two options: 1) 800MHz and 2) 3000 MHz. Both are identical and the same price. Which one will you buy?

You'll have to ask yourself what you're gonna use it for, how long you're gonna keep it before upgrading, etc. Once you answer that you'll know which one will best suit your needs.

Another way to look at it is: What would you prefer in a worker -- one that isn't too bright but can get work done correctly and slowly (using 30% of his mind) or one that is brilliant and gets the work done correctly, and quickly using 8% of his mind? Both are paid the same.

As far as I know underclocking will keep your cpu cooler and it will in theory last longer but I think any normal chip under normal-gaming loads can last 3-5 years easy.

Good Luck,

Adrian

Thanx for the reply
I only use 800mhz for video play back incl hi-def and other small tasks like playing music when i am converting to xvid i up the speed to 3.0ghz.
I was just wondering if using it underclocked would harm the cpu more than running it normal.
Temp wise it runs about 2 to 3 degrees cooler and at idle i save about 30watts so saving power isn't my main concern,just cpu health in the long term.

i think underclocking is kinda pointless why buy a nice cpu only to make it suck ? if you wanted a more power efficent cpu should have bought one anyways all cpus have a good life span at default settings like 5 years or more who keeps the same computer for 5 years? Besides that i know some overclocked cpus that are still going after 4 years or more so if you have good cooling and air flow i see no since in underclocking your cpu.

What's the point of using full power of the cpu and volts if you are only going to surf the net and DL torrents.

Judging by the info on AMD's website you're operating the cpu with in voltage parameters (0.850-1.425V) so you should have no problem running it that way. Since the graphics card is handling the HD decoding you can run the system either way. As to which is better I suppose operating the cpu at a lower speed will make it last longer. That said I have no idea what running a system underclocked and then overclocked will do to the cpu over time. Guess you'll find out.

The thing is it's overclocked speed wise but not voltage wise so i think it shouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back