Need recommendations on game and wheel

MamaNeedsHelp

My 9 year old son loves to "drive" on the computer. He has downloaded some games like 18 Wheels of Steel and a few others. For Christmas I thought I might get him a racing game and steering wheel for the game, but I have NO idea what to look for and what would be appropriate for a 9 year old. :eek:

His computer runs WIndows 7. It seems like a lot of the games I have seen online are for Windows XP.

Will a racing wheel work on games like 18 wheels of Steel?

Are there any racing games that do not require him to use a "manual" transmission?

Please, help a Mama out!!!

Thanks!

we need to know more about his computer, some newer games might not run oh his computer. Make and model or what parts are in it if its a custom computer.

None of this makes sense to me, so I hope this is what you are after.

Dell Inspiron 546, AMD Athlon II X4 630 (2.8GHz, 2MB).
4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHZ- 4X1GB,DIM,M
Integrated ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics
640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200RPM

Would this work?

I was wondering if this wheel would work on the computer? Does anyone know if it's a decent wheel? Better than the other one listed?

zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10012222

or

buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=204235064

Why do none of them say anything about working with WIndows 7?

***Ok, it wouldn't let me post links, so I removed the www***

Well, I don't really want to spend $250, but I was thinking this might be a little better than the Ferrari model. I guess I would like to keep it under $100.

So if I get something "lesser" than that the GT, (ie something not supported for Windows 7) Will it not work? I guess what I am asking is, do I really have a choice?

I don't use racing wheels so im not the best person to be helping you. I hope someone else can come in and voice their input.

Most of the racing games probably were developed for Windows XP and probably will work on Win. Vista and Windows 7.

I do all of my racing on the Xbox 360 and mostly with the sim racing game Forza Motorsport 3. There are several wheels available from Logetech, Mad Katz, and Fanatec.

If you have a Wii Console, there is a "Cars" racing game and a racing wheel is only about $15. My 5 year old grandson plays that game.

Back