Need some windows xp help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ineedsomehelp

i want to wipe everything off my computer and install windows back to the way it was when i first bought this computer, how do i go about doing this?

Use your Windows CD (or recovery CD)

And select Remove Partition in the setup process

Warning: All system files and data will be lost

Partition definition can be quite difficult to explain in full (just search Google)
But lets just say it's the area on the harddrive that holds the system type (like NTFS or Fat32)

You need a HardDrive
Then a Partition (usually formatted to NTFS)
Then an Operating System (Windows)
Then a user (that's you)

it says the computer includes a new system recovery feature that does not require discs. since i don't have a cd to install windows with, how will i get all the windows xp files back after deleting the partition?

what's this for?
82830_ScreenShot115a.JPG

Hi,
If this is an HP Pavilion, what you are seeing is a recovery partition designed specifically for restoring your system back to the way it was originally configured.

Realize you may lose data and be required to re-install any software you have installed. It's important to be sure you have backed up any important data or files, as well as locate the media for any software you may have installed yourself.

HP's also usually have a one-time feature that allows you to make cd's/media from the contents of that partition. If you haven't done so, I'd strongly recommend this. It can take anywhere from 2 to 9 blank CD's and an hour or more to make CDs from the recovery partition. This is important as a total hard drive failure would require paying for these from HP.

That being said, you can run the recovery option by rebooting your PC and watching for the Recovery option on initial power-up. It's usually "Press F10 to begin recovery process" in the first few seconds of powering up or rebooting. It's almost always F10 or F11 to run the Recovery process. Hitting this key on your keyboard will begin the system recovery process thus re-installing the OS and HP software. Once in the Recovery interface, it will have options to make recovery disks in case of total disk failure, options to backup data/files, as well as perform a full system recovery.

Sharkfood said:
Hi,
If this is an HP Pavilion, what you are seeing is a recovery partition designed specifically for restoring your system back to the way it was originally configured.

Realize you may lose data and be required to re-install any software you have installed. It's important to be sure you have backed up any important data or files, as well as locate the media for any software you may have installed yourself.

HP's also usually have a one-time feature that allows you to make cd's/media from the contents of that partition. If you haven't done so, I'd strongly recommend this. It can take anywhere from 2 to 9 blank CD's and an hour or more to make CDs from the recovery partition. This is important as a total hard drive failure would require paying for these from HP.

That being said, you can run the recovery option by rebooting your PC and watching for the Recovery option on initial power-up. It's usually "Press F10 to begin recovery process" in the first few seconds of powering up or rebooting. It's almost always F10 or F11 to run the Recovery process. Hitting this key on your keyboard will begin the system recovery process thus re-installing the OS and HP software. Once in the Recovery interface, it will have options to make recovery disks in case of total disk failure, options to backup data/files, as well as perform a full system recovery.
yeah i'm using a hp. i have an external hard drive for putting the software and any other files i want to keep. as for the recovery cds you want me to make, is there a way i can just put those files on my external hard drive rather than having to go through the trouble of burning information on all those cds? it isn't giving me the option

You can order the Recovery Disc for your exact model by asking at HP.com
These discs are usually inexpensive, and a good idea to have anyway. ie if your Hard Drive fails the Recovery partition will be lost.

As for transferring the partition on to another Hard Drive (external) this is not a good idea).
1. You need the exact file to start the recovery (that's not hard)
2. You need to set it up as a bootable drive (a little hard for external drive)
3. You need to actually copy the entire files to another drive (if you understand Explorer no probs)
4. It will take up long term space on the Drive (well that's Hp's way anyway!)
5. It's easier (and a lot wiser) to have the Recovery on CD (or DVD depending on what's ordered)

No.

To be clear, leaving the recovery partition there, will keep your HP original.

Just run the HP Recovery (whatever key it states when starting your computer)
And you may need to answer some question (Do you agree; are you sure...)
And continue on with the full recovery

Therefore you don't need the discs

kimsland said:
No.

To be clear, leaving the recovery partition there, will keep your HP original.

Just run the HP Recovery (whatever key it states when starting your computer)
And you may need to answer some question (Do you agree; are you sure...)
And continue on with the full recovery

Therefore you don't need the discs
will doing this will remove all the files and software that wasn't originally on my computer when i first got it?

Yes

It will return your computer to the way it was first sold
Note: HP also includes many software packages (in the Restore) possibly even Norton AntiVirus (of which I would remove)

Go for it, if data (present data) is not required (or has been backed up already)

alright i'll get to it now then =) why should i remove norton? i don't like any antivirus or firewall or spyware programs, especially free ones, they just make more problems for me.

No you're wrong (sorry to be blunt)

Norton is too resource hungry (it'll slow your computer down)
And AVG Free is brilliant (and recommended)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back