Need Suggestion for Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working on upgrading my computer and I'm stuck at the video card. I'm have a gateway so I have alot of minimum requirements. I'm only running on a 160w power supply. I'm looking to upgrade to at least 128 mb video card. Can anyone help me find a video card with 16x PCI express that will work with my computer?

I'm afraid there are no PCI Express video cards I know of that will run at x16 speed with a PSU that is that underpowered. U will need a new PSU if u want even a moderately good PCI-E card that can run at full speed. BTW what Gateway model do u have?

That PSU could blow with a new video card, and possibly damage some other components.

You need a new PSU, with at least 350W, and one made by quality manufacturers, like FSP Group, Antec, Enermax, etc.

You can get a decent PSU for less than $40.

I'm sure he can get away with 350W. I'm currently running a 300W FSP Group PSU with absolutely no stability problems, even using a X800GTO videocard :)

Just make sure it has good amperes on the +12V rail or rails.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I'm afraid there are no PCI Express video cards I know of that will run at x16 speed with a PSU that is that underpowered. U will need a new PSU if u want even a moderately good PCI-E card that can run at full speed. BTW what Gateway model do u have?

Currently my setup is

Hard Drives -
Maxtor 20-GB 5400-RPM Hard Disk Drive Revision 1 [Part #5502355] Support Docs

Memory - Find Upgrades
MEM DDR 128MB PC266B 16X8 R0 [Part #5000580] Support Docs
(now with 1.25 G of DDR)

Mice
Logitech USB Optical Mouse Revision 5 [Part #7003991] Support Docs

Modems
Gateway V.92 PCI Soft Modem R1 (Palmer) [Part #6002118] Support Docs

Monitors
EV700 17-inch Monitor with 15.9-inch Viewable [Part #7004012] Support Docs

Motherboards
Intel (Nimitz) Pentium 4 - 1.8 GHz [Part #2516497] Support Docs

Power Supplies
160-Watt Power Supply [Part #6500582] Support Docs

Why don't u try and sell the PC and get a new one? There is a guide here at TechSpot using which u can build urself one for between 650-1000 dollars, depending on what choices u make. It will be a dual-core system which will be a very good performance jump from ur single-core P4.

I agree with Rage. I had a Gateway PC some time ago, and I had to build a new one in order to get a good, modern PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back