Need suggestions for a new PC build (Creative Suite-ready)

Infectious

Hi,

I would like to build a new pc but I haven't the time to do all the research that I did last time in order to put together a well-suited machine...so I thought I'd lean and glean here.

I am mainly building it to run Creative Suite for PS, ID and AI. Mirrored storage a must. I'm not sure who is winning the Intel vs AMD battle so enlighten me. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Also, can you recommend a good set-up for a new laptop for the same purpose as well?

I do not game at all...okay once in a blue moon...but not a necessity!

Thanks,

Timothy

Most important thing, what's your budget?
Also is this a new system from scratch or do you have any parts which you are looking to reuse?

New from scratch since my last pc is old. Budget...like to keep under a grand. I can buy much of it wholesale.

Thanks

Well my system was $840 and it performs very very well for the price. I couldn't be happier with it.
If you'd like to use it as a basis for your build, here it is:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400r
CPU: AMD FX-6100
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 550Ti
Hard drive: 500GB seagate barracuda
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) Patriot Gamer2 1333MHz
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
Optical Drive: LG DVDRW
Power Supply: Corsair HX-650W
Monitor: 22" Viewsonic 1920x1080
keyboard & mouse: microsoft wired combo

TOTAL: $846

Runs all the modern games (BF3, skyrim, MW3, Crysis 2) on 40-50FPS on medium quality.
Great for video editing and rendering aswell
the CPU actually has much more grunt than I would have expected from a $160 6-core CPU.

Since you don't really do any gaming you've got a nice budget to play with for the CPU. I'd recommend getting the 3770K + Z77 mobo + 16GB RAM, you'll be happy with that setup for a long time.

Since you don't really do any gaming you've got a nice budget to play with for the CPU. I'd recommend getting the 3770K + Z77 mobo + 16GB RAM, you'll be happy with that setup for a long time.
I'm not disagreeing with you here, but those parts alone are well over $600. I know it's possible to fit in a Case, Graphics Card, Hard Drive(s), CPU cooler (?), DVD drive, Power Supply, and Peripherals into a sub-$400 category, but If I were the OP I'd try balancing the parts out a bit more so he won't have to cheap out on anything. just my two cents though and I'm not nearly as experienced as slh28, so feel free to disregard this :)

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but those parts alone are well over $600.
That's $600 well spent IMO :) With the remaining funds, case $100, PSU $60, GPU $50-$100 (depending on how often a "blue moon" is), Cooler $20, hard drive $100. Now if the $1k budget also includes a monitor and KB/mouse then some downgrading needs to be done.

It's horses for courses though, he's using it mainly for CS which is CPU intensive. If this were a gaming PC then yeah, a 3770K + 16GB RAM is definite overkill.

Thanks for the info...I do have a few things that I can carry over so I'll look into slh28's recommendations. Mobo and CPU were my main concerns.

Back