Need suggestions for a new PC build (Creative Suite-ready)

By Infectious
Jul 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I would like to build a new pc but I haven't the time to do all the research that I did last time in order to put together a well-suited machine...so I thought I'd lean and glean here.

I am mainly building it to run Creative Suite for PS, ID and AI. Mirrored storage a must. I'm not sure who is winning the Intel vs AMD battle so enlighten me. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Also, can you recommend a good set-up for a new laptop for the same purpose as well?

I do not game at all...okay once in a blue moon...but not a necessity!

Thanks,

Timothy
  2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Most important thing, what's your budget?
    Also is this a new system from scratch or do you have any parts which you are looking to reuse?
  3. Infectious

Infectious Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 18

New from scratch since my last pc is old. Budget...like to keep under a grand. I can buy much of it wholesale.

Thanks
  4. xcylent

xcylent TechSpot Booster Posts: 267   +17

Well my system was $840 and it performs very very well for the price. I couldn't be happier with it.
    If you'd like to use it as a basis for your build, here it is:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400r
    CPU: AMD FX-6100
    CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 550Ti
    Hard drive: 500GB seagate barracuda
    Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) Patriot Gamer2 1333MHz
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
    Optical Drive: LG DVDRW
    Power Supply: Corsair HX-650W
    Monitor: 22" Viewsonic 1920x1080
    keyboard & mouse: microsoft wired combo

TOTAL: $846

Runs all the modern games (BF3, skyrim, MW3, Crysis 2) on 40-50FPS on medium quality.
    Great for video editing and rendering aswell
    the CPU actually has much more grunt than I would have expected from a $160 6-core CPU.
  5. slh28

Since you don't really do any gaming you've got a nice budget to play with for the CPU. I'd recommend getting the 3770K + Z77 mobo + 16GB RAM, you'll be happy with that setup for a long time.
  6. xcylent

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but those parts alone are well over $600. I know it's possible to fit in a Case, Graphics Card, Hard Drive(s), CPU cooler (?), DVD drive, Power Supply, and Peripherals into a sub-$400 category, but If I were the OP I'd try balancing the parts out a bit more so he won't have to cheap out on anything. just my two cents though and I'm not nearly as experienced as slh28, so feel free to disregard this :)
  7. slh28

That's $600 well spent IMO :) With the remaining funds, case $100, PSU $60, GPU $50-$100 (depending on how often a "blue moon" is), Cooler $20, hard drive $100. Now if the $1k budget also includes a monitor and KB/mouse then some downgrading needs to be done.

It's horses for courses though, he's using it mainly for CS which is CPU intensive. If this were a gaming PC then yeah, a 3770K + 16GB RAM is definite overkill.
  8. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Cray xk6 is a pretty good machine.
  9. xcylent

please, My phone is faster than that.
    .4sassin and Zoltan Head like this.
  10. Infectious

Thanks for the info...I do have a few things that I can carry over so I'll look into slh28's recommendations. Mobo and CPU were my main concerns.
  11. Infectious

I have also requested a quote for the Cray system although I usually like to build my systems.

12. xcylent

$1,000,000?
    oh yeah that's a bargain.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.