Need suggestions for new gaming computer

By Bryant
Jan 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I'm new.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way, I am in the market for a new computer for my gaming needs (namely World of Warcraft).

I don't know much about computers so I thought I would ask for some suggestions on which parts to buy. Keep in mind that I don't want to spend TOO much here. I don't really need everything top of the line. I just need something that will play the game nicely without lag for not too much money.

Things I need suggestions on:
    -video card
    -amount of RAM
    -sound card
    -processor

Oh, and I'm on a wireless router and get only about 50mbps. Is that adequate enough?

Thanks,
    Bryant
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,271   +257

Wow isn't terribly demanding on your hardware. Anything ATI 9600 pro or better or a GeForce 6600 or better should do you just fine on video cards. You're looking at around $120-200 US. Go with a gig of RAM. I have seen 3 cases now of dramatic performance increases by people who went from 512 meg to 1 gig. Audigy 2 ZS on the sound card - OEM should be fine < $90. Processor is gonna be totally personal preference. Any Hyperthreaded P4 will do just fine - as well as any Athlon > 2600 or any AMD64. You bandwidth... well, if it's steady then you will be fine. But if it fluctuates often then you may have a problem. If you've ever played any other MMO or FPS on that connection and it was fine then the case will be the same here.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.