Need suggestions for new gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way, I am in the market for a new computer for my gaming needs (namely World of Warcraft).

I don't know much about computers so I thought I would ask for some suggestions on which parts to buy. Keep in mind that I don't want to spend TOO much here. I don't really need everything top of the line. I just need something that will play the game nicely without lag for not too much money.

Things I need suggestions on:
-video card
-amount of RAM
-sound card
-processor

Oh, and I'm on a wireless router and get only about 50mbps. Is that adequate enough?

Thanks,
Bryant

Wow isn't terribly demanding on your hardware. Anything ATI 9600 pro or better or a GeForce 6600 or better should do you just fine on video cards. You're looking at around $120-200 US. Go with a gig of RAM. I have seen 3 cases now of dramatic performance increases by people who went from 512 meg to 1 gig. Audigy 2 ZS on the sound card - OEM should be fine < $90. Processor is gonna be totally personal preference. Any Hyperthreaded P4 will do just fine - as well as any Athlon > 2600 or any AMD64. You bandwidth... well, if it's steady then you will be fine. But if it fluctuates often then you may have a problem. If you've ever played any other MMO or FPS on that connection and it was fine then the case will be the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back