Need suggestions on a new PC build

Great1122

* What are you going to use the PC for?
I'm going to use it for quite a few years of gaming, and possibly software programming in the future. I'd prefer 3d, but if it's really not worth it right now, I guess that's an upgrade I can save for the future.
* How much is your budget?
Planning on having a $3000 budget
* Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
Yes, that's not a problem.
* Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
I think I will, but don't know.

Ok, that's all the basic info
These are some basic components I want with this PC
Monitor: 2560 x 1600 or 1440(27" apple monitor maybe) or a 3D TV,however I'd like picture quality over 3D, and if that's pretty bad right now on 3d than I'd rather have a nice 2560 x 1600 resolution.($1000 max)

GPU:Maybe a cfx radeon hd 6950. ($500 max)

CPU: think about 6 core amd phenoms. ($300 max)

Hard drive: Definitely an SSD (256 gb?) with raid for any 1tb or higher hard drive.($500 max)

With the remaing $700 I have, I'd like any decent Blu-ray drive,a case that'll fit all of that,a motherboard that'll support the amd/cfx, a sufficient enough psu,all the fans I'd need
Also if the price stays the same for this ram:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 i guess I'll get 16 gb of ram,but will need a 4 ddr3 ram mobo,not sure if that's possible.
I think that takes care of everything, any suggestions are welcome and appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Note: this is very early planning for this build so these prices might go down as time goes on.(I think the monitor will remain at $1000 though.)

Decent choices for the CPU and GPU. $3000 is a huge budget. Invest carefully.

I would personally go with a triple or quad card setup.

For the motherboard, consider the ASUS CROSSHAIR 4 FORMULA.

Ensure you get yourself a powerful power supply and 8 Gigs of RAM.

The asus corsshair 4, is a good motherboard, i think i'll use it for this setup, as for the cpu, i'm pretty set on amd phenom x6, and as for the gpu, a quad card setup would be ideal, but the only thing I could afford would be either 4 4890's or 4 4870's, and those don't support amd's newer technologies, specifically HD3D, and I would be looking to upgrade this pc to 3d, without buying another gpu,
So here's the three new components I've added:

Motherboard:ASUS CROSSAIR 4($250)

PSU:OCZ / GameXStream / 850-Watt ($110)

RAM:Corsair XMS3 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB Memory ($130)

Now that leaves me with $210 for the blu-ray drive/case/any fans(since most components come with fans,I guess one decent fan would suffice).

Having more cards usually decreases efficiency, so having four cards for a "cool" factor or whatever is no good.
IMO a 6970 is a better choice. There is no reason to get outdated cards.

Having more cards usually decreases efficiency, so having four cards for a "cool" factor or whatever is no good.
IMO a 6970 is a better choice. There is no reason to get outdated cards.

Well I didn't know anything about efficiency, but I did say I didn't want to get outdated cards, but I'm sticking with cfx 6950 or a 6950x2, which is better than getting one 6970.

Now could anyone help me with this: With $210 i need the blu-ray drive/case/any fans(since most components come with fans,I guess one decent fan would suffice). Any help is appreciated thanks, ideally the blu-ray drive/case should cost 100 each, and also a case that comes with more fans is preferred I guess.

I think this psu is good, what do you guys think? Also let me know your opinion on this blu-ray drive

Also I'm willing to go about $100 -$200 above budget for shipping/tax, newegg will charge me tax.

Also is this monitor worth it for the computer I''m trying to build or should i just go full 2560 x 1600? (I think 6950's have a mini-display port built in, would this work with windows?)

I think you should use an 80+ gold powersupply like mine, but that one will be fine, but more expensive than mine...

My understanding is that Apple = 60% profit margin, please explain to me why you picked this monitor.

I have heard that the Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" Height, Swivel & Tilt Adjustable Widescreen LCD Monitor 370 cd/m2 is really great, but using an array of four 17'+ monitors would be much larger and cheaper. Note that I really have no experience with large displays.

The antec 1200 is a new arrival so I can wait for it to get a deal, anyways that takes care of everything for this build, thank you guys for all your suggestions. Also, hellokitty I'll consider the 80+ gold psu, but 80% efficiency vs 87% efficiency, it's not a big price to pay, also I'll get more watts with the other ones, which will also prolong their life.

It's been on newegg for at least a year. Either way it makes no difference; you can't predict/expect a price drop or sale or whatever on it. Not only that, but you should pick the case that you like aesthetically, both cases are high-quality and will serve you well anyway.

wow with a 3k budget id be getting something like this.

cpu- intel 2500k - $229
mb p67- $250
ram- DDR3 1600 8Gb $150
video card- GTX 570 in SLI -$700

Me too but IDK the thread starter seems to have a taste for more cores...X6? Quadfire? I hope it is fully understood that having more cores will not yield a linear increase in performance.
It's true that the 2600K is better at practically everything, but I guess you can say the X6 is a bit cheaper, and so are the AMD boards. You definitely can't say that the X6 is a poor choice per se.

CF scaling with 2x 6950's is only about 170%ish max, but given the price, it's comparable to the GTX580, with similar performance most of the time. That's also expected to improve a little with new drivers. However, you'll have to consider that CF won't work with some games, or might not scale very well at all. As we can see from Anandtech's GPU bench, CF 6950s can usually provide 50% more performance, but there are clearly cases where it falls under 20% increase. Note that CF 6950s will probably have a lower minimum FPS than the GTX580.
The bottom line is that it is an option compared to the GTX580, and with an AMD board, SLI isn't an option, so the 6950 isn't a terrible choice.

EDIT: Also, can anyone tell me what makes the apple 27" so impressive to cost $1000...if it really is worth the price.
Double EDIT: Scratch that I'd actually throw in a JVC-RX700 and an Asus Xonar STX, at $3000 I'd really recommend getting a suitable audio system to match up with it.
Along with that I would have a 2600K, a quick SSD, and everything else is just meh.
Triple EDIT: I've heard that using CF causes "micro-stuttering". I have no idea if this is true, or if it is, to what extent.

I was considering the cf on 6950, not 6850, but I went ahead and looked up other people's opinions on cf 6950 vs gtx 580, it seems to be 50/50, but most people say for resolutions above 1900 x 1200, the cf will work better/get better fps, and since I am looking to game at resolutions higher than that,I'll stick with that, also the thing with more cores, is more cores will not mean more performance until software is written to make use of them.
Providing the tools for software writers to best utilize additional cores is necessary to speed the process.
so yeah more cores are better, especially for multi-tasking, but software has to be upgraded to make one program utilize all 6 cores, but in the end more cores=better.

Also screen-recorder programs will probably not lag while recording graphic intensive games,and they'll offer better quality.

Another note is that I might consider getting the x2 edition of the 6950 once it comes out, and I'm sure that'll reduce much of the problems with cf.

Also here's the test you want to refer to: Anandtech You can even try comparing it to the gtx 580 sli, the 6950 cf doesn't beat it, but is pretty close in comparison with the 580 sli, and that comparison doesn't justify the 580 sli's $500 price increase when compared to 6950 cf, the only reason nVidia is thriving is because they're overcharging people for all their cards.

imo you should really think about going with the intel build over amd i have nothing against them just that a 2500k overclocked beats the hell out of a 6 core intel rig in gaming so it would utterly destroy an amd 6 core you should really read up on that imo you would be wasting your money on an AMD rig.

Maybe, but how much does a processor count towards gaming power anyways, also since im getting a radeon series card, amd is a better choice than intel.

Oh I meant 6950 oops, darn numbers.
2600K has more raw processing power than the X6, 6 core optimized or not. If you take a look at multithreaded video encoding benchmarks...Also remember that the 2600K actually has 8 threads.
AMD boards don't actually help CF or anything, they just can't SLI. The P67 can do both. I'd pick the P67 for a UFEI for faster boot up.

this is the mobo you're suggesting, its not bad at all, but I'd rather stick with amd, simply cause of the multitasking, and you cant deny more cores are better for multitasking.

if you don't want our help then don't ask its simple look it up the 2500k or 2600k are far better cpus than the AMD 6 cores and yes cpus do matter in gaming in raw power you get better FPS that is a fact also note that intel motherboards can do sli / crossfire both amd can only do crossfire unless there are lower end boards that do sli and 2 gtx 570s would be better overall but 2 AMD 6970s are just as good and have more ram.

Ok, I agree with you the 2600k has faster cores, but In the end what would win, the 4 cores the 2600k has
powering one game or the 6 cores the amd phenom has powering one game?

Back