Need to create a short (timelapse-like) video from digital camcorder video

By SNGX1275
May 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Just for fun I want to take some video that I record with a very cheap digital video camera, and speed it up to make 30 minutes condensed down to maybe 2 or 3. Currently it is at 29.97fps motion jpeg video (which sucks, but its a cheap camera and I don't need insane quality for this). I was thinking out of that roughly 30 fps, I really only need 2 or 3 depending on the finished length I decide. I'm sure there is software to do something like this, but I searched a bit on my own and didn't come up with much. I do not need to keep the audio in my original video.

I was pretty sure I had asked this before in here, but a quick forum search didn't turn it up.

I'm hoping for freeware, but if there is a decent pay alternative that isn't a full professional (expensive) thing then that will be ok.

Essentially the video is a 'dash cam' and I really just want to see some routes I drive sped up a lot. So this isn't a terribly serious project, but in a few months I may be getting a Go Pro or something similar and recording mountain bike rides, so anything I can learn now may come in handy in the future.
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

SNGX1275 likes this.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 12,268   +218

That batch processing link looks promising...

Edit: Got a little confused on that. It seems to hold true to its "batch" aspect rather than just a single file. I have a single file at 30fps, I want to make 1 more single file at 30fps but with maybe 10% of the original.
  4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

By the way, why can't you just speed up the video?
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 12,268   +218

That is pretty much what I want to do. But I want it to be a new file at 10% or so of the size, not the same file played back faster in software.
  6. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,569   +184

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.