NEED TO INSTALL A 3rd HARD DRIVE!

By Guyvergba
Feb 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, Here's my delema. I currently am running on 2 Hard Drives, one 80GB, the other 40GB. I also have a DVD+-R drive and a DVD-ROM drive. I bought a maxtor 200GB hard drive and I have an S/ATA Adapter card. I was able to install the adapter card by plugging it into my motherboeard, but not plugging in any hard drives. When I try to move the ATA chord from the motherboard to the adapter card, it doesn't recognize them. I need to install the third hard drive. I have information I need to transfer from both drives to the 200gb one, and even if I were to save the information to discs, if I were to plug it in normally ( because the ata card won't recognize them for some reason ) it will only have 137gb available. PLEASE!!! Can ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Tim

Please e-mail me at GUYVERGBA@AOL.COM :hotbounce
  2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

what os do you have, if windowws xp make shore you have atlest sevirce pack one to make it recognise bigger drivers then 137gb
  3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

PATA interface drives can only handle about 137 GB per partition. SATA can handle far more gigs per partition. your PATA drive needs to be formatted into partitions, none of shich can exceed 137gb. i reccomend making nothing larger than 120GB for performance reasons.
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

it doesnt matter whter he has PATA or SATA, without at least SP1 or higher windows is not going to recognize more than 137GB.
  5. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 Newcomer, in training Posts: 484

Yep, pre SP1 doesn't matter if it is pata or sata. It has to be with the coding in windows and how it handles drives of that size.
  6. Guyvergba

Guyvergba Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Latest Windows service pack

Can anyone tell me where to get the latest service pack so my comp will recognize more than 137GB?

Tim
  7. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.