Need to introduce another mobo to hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys......just switched everything into a new case. The mobo and hard drive have never met...........I want to get win xp to work with the new setup WITHOUT re-formating.........I know there are steps by booting off of a win xp disk (which i have) to repair...............but i just don't remember them...............could use some help with this, and I know I'm in the right place..........Thank you in advance for all replies............"K"........( windows xp is already on this drive)

Just boot into Safe Mode and reboot in Normal Mode. Windows will take care of detecting then new mobo. No need to reinstall XP. If you haver a driver CD that comes wih the move, install it.

still not working............

Hey win-x......thanks for your help..........but it's still not working........the operating system just keeps going round and round.......the black screens with the white words asking me if i want to boot in safe mode, last know, normal .( you know the setting.)...it just keeps going round and round........i went into boot order to come off of the xp disk that i have , and it shows installing components...( although i don't think i need them because xp is already on the hard drive from before the new case move)......it's been going on for a while now ( today) and i'm at wits end..........i don't really know what else to do..........thanks for any and all....."K"...........................................(.ECS 945p a v 1.1 mobo........intel pent d - dual core @ 2.80. , wd 150 gb hd, 2 gb ram, 500 w psu , nivid 7800 gt.............very basic......)

Try CHKDSK at the Recovery Console. Boot with your XP CD Installer, select R to go to RC, Press 1, Enter and your Admin Password, Enter. At the Command Prompt type

CHKDSK C: /p
EXIT

then Reboot, hope this works.

Sometimes the drivers that are already installed on the hard drive, conflict with the new drivers that XP is trying to install and XP will not boot, it just hangs.

Sometimes you can get it to work by removing all the old drivers manually by booting into safe mode if possible and then remove ALL devices in device manager and re-boot in normal mode and then XP will install all new drivers.

Sometimes you just cannot get it to work and you must do a clean install.

RE; introducing mobo to HD in new case

You know guys.......sometimes things are things...I've decided to go with a clean xp install. It was just fruitless.......I had an old hard drive laying around so I put it in , formatted, and just went with it................I have an x-ternal HD dock so I still have everything I was afraid to lose.......I'll just have to spend a day transfering all my "stuff" onto the case HD.......something I was trying to avoid but when your down, you're down.......at least all is up and running, but there is a way....just gotta spend time finding it........want to thank you guys for all of your efforts.......you are the ones that make this site what it is....hoping you'll be here again when some of us need advise....thanks again...."K"......(cappy205)

The most reliable fix, when changing to a new motherboard, is to boot to the install disk, then run the Windows Install in repair mode, then call Dell when given the opportunity to get the new and free authorization code and Microsoft approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back