Need to overclock Celeron 2.6GHz

secretassasin69

Hey, I'm new to overclocking but I need to know how I can do it to an Intel Celeron 2.6 Ghz. Since I have it in an older machine that runs quite slow and I was hoping that overclocking might help.

It depends on the options in the bios of your motherboard. Right now, we have no clue what your motherboard is. Can you help us with this?

Yes indeed i have an Asrock Prescott 800 (P4VM 800) and im not too sure what version the bios is. ill edit it as soon as i find out.

TBH, I'm not sure overclocking would make a difference.
If this is a store bought computer, you might not even be able to. Prescott cores are hot anyway, so be careful.

The primary limitation of the Celerons is a limited L2 cache. In many cases it's only 256MB. That said, you can overclock it til it goes up in a puff of smoke, but today's multi threaded apps will still baffle the s*** out of it.

Celerons are notoriously good overclockers, but the utility of doing so is questionable. It's mostly undertaken in the spirit of, "I'm going to make it go to, xxx GHz", then bragging about it after wards.

The bottom line is, I'm sure you can make it better than it is, but I doubt that will put you where you want or need to go.

The primary limitation of the Celerons is a limited L2 cache. In many cases it's only 256MB. That said, you can overclock it til it goes up in a puff of smoke, but today's multi threaded apps will still baffle the s*** out of it.

Celerons are notoriously good overclockers, but the utility of doing so is questionable. It's mostly undertaken in the spirit of, "I'm going to make it go to, xxx GHz", then bragging about it after wards.

The bottom line is, I'm sure you can make it better than it is, but I doubt that will put you where you want or need to go.

I think you meant 256KB, not MB.

And yeah, overclocking a Celeron is more or less an exercise in futility... You're going to turn it to ash before you get decent performance out of it by today's standards. They were pretty grim performers even when they were new. You'd be better off saving yourself the effort and replacing it, if that's an option.

tbh i agree with phraun and i might consider upgrading to one of the phenom or phenom 2 process or do you guys i think i should wait for the prices to go down as these ranges are soon to be replaced by a new range of amd cpus

Back