Need to re-install XP SP3 64-bit on Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

About 3 years back I bought this laptop and after going through a lot of ordeal was finally able to downgrade it from Vista to XP.

The laptop needs a fresh installation (too much garbage over the years).

I have the drivers somewhere and also have a floppy drive. I have also have found a few posts that I had made 3 years back but to be honest, now I do not recall any of the details regarding how to do a fresh installation. I do remember that harddisk detection and finding the drivers was a big big problem.

Can someone kindly help and guide me regarding how to do a fresh installation on my laptop. I currently have XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) and prefer to have XP Pro SP3 (64-bit). Do not want to install Vista and have hardly used Windows 7 so I prefer to continue using the O/S and interface that I am familiar with. Besides, I have only 2 GB RAM and Windows 7 probably requires 4 GB. Anyway, that's probably a side issue.

I really tried to avoid this as long as I could but now the laptop really needs a fresh installation. BTW, I also have 3 partitions in total.

Probably my post is lacking some more details and I will be glad to provide the same.

Will be thankful for your help.

XP 64 sucks. Windows 7 most certainly does NOT need 4 gbs.

Boot into the disk (if you chose windows 7, I think you can do it from within windows xp), press enter when prompted...F8 when prompted, rearange partitions as desired, highlight the partition you want to install on, press enter again as prompted, enter product key, restart when prompted, install your drivers. I think its pretty self explanatory.

Windows 7 install is so friendly it's unbelievable. Dude, don't worry they actually tell you what to do. Windows 7 just has a higher minimum requirements that's all. But if you're leaning to staying with XP... its going to slowly get outdated.

ANYWAYS... uh you just have to have the XP disk on hand and on

Reboot ---> press the boot key. (Varies among computers)

Select CD ---> Don't forget to stick the CD before you select it.

Follow Instuctions ---> It's self explanatory...

Remember ---> Try to get the latest drivers after installing them from the CD.

I don't think there's anymore to it.

So... good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back