Need to reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandergirl

I have mega problems and want to reformat. I have windowsxp home and after the format I want to install windows 7. For some reason my dvd drive can't read any cd or play any. I can burn data on a cd but it can't read it. How can I format my computer? Also I bought windows 7 and it has 2 disk in it 32bit and 64bit. Which one do I use?

See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

I downloaded that program and ran it but it didn't fix it. A pop up came and said incd drive f will mount for read only incd can only read but not write a disc in this format. I don't understand that because I can write to a disk but it can't read a disk.

It didn't work I still have to go to my computer and click on the drive to open the contents. I just want to format my computer and install windows 7 and start all over again..

If you can still read data off the drive, but you have to go into the drive to see it, thats not a problem its just your autoplay settings.
Don't remember how to change them though, sorry.

I know how to do that you just open my computer and right click on the dvd rom and go to properties and click on auto play and check prompt me each time to use an action.

OH! Wait a minute....

The dim bulb in my brain just went off (i think).... All the error messages you describe occur while you're running Windows, right? When you reformat and reinstall you don't need (or want) Windows running... you are booting from and running executables from the CD drive.

So the only real question is.. do you have the bootable CDs you need to reformat and reinstall Windows? And can you boot from them?

/* edit */
And if you simply want to do is a basic disk reformat, all you need is your Windows installation CD. Can you boot from it??

well I was watching a video and read the install book and it says i can put in the windows 7 disk and use custom and partion the drive to install windows 7

yes. look at video and the book. Cause the whole process begins by booting directly from the CD which then runs the installation process. You don't into Windows.

So first question,
Put the CD in the drive. Then restart the computer. When computer restarts, does it try to boot from the CD (keep eye on screen as it might ask you to press any key to boot from CD)

/* edit */
Also note, some computers when they restart also have an option to press an Fn-key to give you a boot screen where you select the boot device, e.g. you select to boot from CD

I think the format problem you are having is the result of you thinking you must format prior to the installation of windows. While this is somewhat true, what you don't realize is that the option to format the drive will be given during the windows installation. If you are receiving the prompt to press any key to boot from a cd then you should be able to install windows without a glitch notwithstanding any hard ware issues which we hope you don't have. Personally, I'm not a fan of using the windows format method when installing windows on a drive that has a current install. I boot into the current install, create a partition with Easeus Partition Manager, then boot from the disc and install windows on the new partition. The primary reason for this is data transfer. Once the install is complete I can then transfer all my personal data with one click of the mouse. I can then install Easeus on the new windows install and delete the old install or, just leave it as an access tool in case I have problems with the new install. Dual boot has alot of advantages if trouble shooting the new install becomes necessary.

I have mega problems and want to reformat. I have windowsxp home and after the format I want to install windows 7. For some reason my dvd drive can't read any cd or play any. I can burn data on a cd but it can't read it. How can I format my computer? Also I bought windows 7 and it has 2 disk in it 32bit and 64bit. Which one do I use?

1st - you do need to format to install Windows 7.
2nd - insert the DVD then reboot an normally use F2 to boot into BIOS and make sure you have boot to DVD as 1st option. use F10 to save and exit.
then REBOOT it should auto boot into the DVD..
3rd - Normally the manual will tell you if your computer is x86 (32bit) or x64 (64 bit)
if your computer is x64 approved then it also is x86... select the DVD you prefer.
Most normal users are x86.
4th. - when ask select the proper edition of Windows 7 that your COA - Key applies to.
5th - when ask chose clean install....
6th - when ask chose C:\ your old OS will then be named Windows.old
7th - I would not recommend the DUAL BOOT - unless your a TECHY person.
plus it is not recommended your your VERY Computer SAVEY.
This will fix your CD-DVD problem, this will fix you format problem.(not needed) infact this will fix the problems... you mentioned.

Get Rid of InCD if You Have it Installed

I downloaded that program and ran it but it didn't fix it. A pop up came and said incd drive f will mount for read only incd can only read but not write a disc in this format. I don't understand that because I can write to a disk but it can't read a disk.

may be off the subject but if you have Nero's program InCD, go to Add Remove and get rid of it. That will cause many problems with your computer. Nero makes a tool to clean it up if Add/Remove doesn't work.
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back