Need to replace video card

hlratliff

Built a computer for my son to game on. I have a MSIK8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI mobo. I have been running two Nvidia NX7600GT's. One of them blew the other night. Any suggestions on what to upgrade to? I have a 600w power supply so I think I'm pretty good there.

I'm kind of new to the building and compatibility part; so any help would be wonderful and well appreciated.

Also, probably a stupid question but here goes. I assume that since I'm running dual cards now, I will continue to run dual cards? Would like to stay with Nvidia products.

Thank you in advance!

From what I can remember you have a few options:

- Run single new card, Nvidia GTX 460 or the 550Ti cards would offer decent performance at a mid to lower end price range. Or spend more for the top end Nvidia offerings GTX 580, not sure their minimum PSU recommendations, but at least require 2 x PCIe Power connectors.
- Run dual cards, 1 new, 1 old 7600GT as NVIDIA® PhysX® processor, offloading that processing from the main new card.
- Bin the old working card and run 2 x New. GTX 460s are nice in SLi but all others above this can run SLi too.

Just because it is an SLi motherboard it doesn't mean you have to run 2 cards. It will happily run one card, it just has support to also run 2.

Go amd

lol i like nvidia and if your a fanboy to them then use them. but currently im using the 5850, and to be honest it will be better to just run one nice high end card like a 6850 or higher or a 560ti or higher.

What type of budget are you working with for a new video card? What is the current resolution your son games at? Also could you tell us the specific brand/model of your power supply?

Like Arris points out you don't need to have two cards, and likely a solid mid range unit will serve you just as well if not better then your old setup. Personally I think anything beyond a mid range card from today's line up will likely start to see major bottlenecks with your CPU (Athlon 64?).

lol i like nvidia and if your a fanboy to them then use them.

I don't see anything in his post that indicates he is a fanboy of Nvidia, people can prefer one company over the other you know ;) . But you are correct that AMD does have some very competitive offerings.

My son uses his hd television (26") as his comp screen - not sure about the resolution. My power supply is a Cool Master Silent Pro M 600W. It doesn't have to be an Nvidia card. If you know of something just as good or better for a reasonable price that would be fine too. My budget is anywhere from 50 - 125 depending on my options. Thanks so much for your help

Back