Need to replace video card

By hlratliff
Apr 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Built a computer for my son to game on. I have a MSIK8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI mobo. I have been running two Nvidia NX7600GT's. One of them blew the other night. Any suggestions on what to upgrade to? I have a 600w power supply so I think I'm pretty good there.

I'm kind of new to the building and compatibility part; so any help would be wonderful and well appreciated.

Also, probably a stupid question but here goes. I assume that since I'm running dual cards now, I will continue to run dual cards? Would like to stay with Nvidia products.

Thank you in advance!
  2. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

From what I can remember you have a few options:

- Run single new card, Nvidia GTX 460 or the 550Ti cards would offer decent performance at a mid to lower end price range. Or spend more for the top end Nvidia offerings GTX 580, not sure their minimum PSU recommendations, but at least require 2 x PCIe Power connectors.
    - Run dual cards, 1 new, 1 old 7600GT as NVIDIA® PhysX® processor, offloading that processing from the main new card.
    - Bin the old working card and run 2 x New. GTX 460s are nice in SLi but all others above this can run SLi too.

Just because it is an SLi motherboard it doesn't mean you have to run 2 cards. It will happily run one card, it just has support to also run 2.
  3. Zilliak

Zilliak TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 233

Go amd

lol i like nvidia and if your a fanboy to them then use them. but currently im using the 5850, and to be honest it will be better to just run one nice high end card like a 6850 or higher or a 560ti or higher.
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

What type of budget are you working with for a new video card? What is the current resolution your son games at? Also could you tell us the specific brand/model of your power supply?

Like Arris points out you don't need to have two cards, and likely a solid mid range unit will serve you just as well if not better then your old setup. Personally I think anything beyond a mid range card from today's line up will likely start to see major bottlenecks with your CPU (Athlon 64?).
  5. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

I don't see anything in his post that indicates he is a fanboy of Nvidia, people can prefer one company over the other you know ;) . But you are correct that AMD does have some very competitive offerings.
  6. hlratliff

hlratliff Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 56

My son uses his hd television (26") as his comp screen - not sure about the resolution. My power supply is a Cool Master Silent Pro M 600W. It doesn't have to be an Nvidia card. If you know of something just as good or better for a reasonable price that would be fine too. My budget is anywhere from 50 - 125 depending on my options. Thanks so much for your help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.