Needing help with my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

justindude3

I have been trying to figure out the problem of my other computer for a while now. The computer worked before around april of 09.

I'm a gamer, and after I installed WoW and tried to play it my computer went to hell. The entire thing would shut off after i played for a certain time, and if i got back on to start playing again it would just give me less and less time, until eventually it just wouldnt even turn on.

when it gets to the point where it won't turn on (which is where i'm at now) the fan goes berserk and makes a loud noise, and the computer doesn't work at all. Most recently though, the problem i've been having is being stuck in power-save mode on the monitor. I tried dusting and switching the ram cards around.

I have a feeling the problem has something to do with the video card heating up, it cooled down relatively quickly after i removed it from my computer and set it down in a safe place at room temperature.

The only option I am seeing right now is to leave the case open while I try to use it. I don't know all the facts, but it seems like not a very safe thing to do.

I would really appreciate any help or feedback on my current solution idea (case open) or any new ideas that might solve my problem.

Thanks for reading =)

Sort of sounds like a bad power supply Can you get a hold of one to swap and to check?

But before I say that, does this thing run OK when you're not gaming?

I think I understand you said it won't power up at all now, is this correct?

Also, the CPU overheating would cause the shutdown, (as would the videocard).

So which fan is making all the noise? The one on the video card, or the processor fan?

When I'm not gaming it only works for longer really.

It does power up, but when it does the general pattern is that the monitor does nothing, or the fan blows very intensely. it turns on, but cannot be used unless i wait a significant amount of time

You should sub out the PSU, it sounds like that is the problem. Usually, shutting down is heat, but issues powering up are mostly the PSU.

With a bad PSU, the CPU fan can "runaway", since there may not be all the voltages present necessary to control it. (This assumes a PWM variable speed CPU fan strategy).

Is there possibly any very high frequency whine coming from the PSU?

I still would like to know which fan is "blowing intensely". If you don't want to tell me, that's cool, but I still think it might help.

no whine coming from the PSU. and i'm not really sure the name of the fan, but it is the one that blows air out of the computer, its located right below the powersource on mine, right above the video card/sound card jacks. i'm not an expert with computers, but im learning. hope that helps

no whine coming from the PSU. and i'm not really sure the name of the fan, but it is the one that blows air out of the computer, its located right below the powersource on mine, right above the video card/sound card jacks. i'm not an expert with computers, but im learning. hope that helps

Here, download this tool, "System Information for Windows" @ http://www.gtopala.com/

Make sure you get the "standalone English Version (green button, center of the page), It's free and you can use it to check temps and PSU voltages.

You don't have to install this program, just download it to the desktop, then double click to run. Scroll down the left pane until you see "sensors", click there.

alright i downloaded it.

what do you need me to do with this?

i'm not posting on the PC im trying to fix. can't get logged onto it because of my troubles

ive got an extra power supply, i don't know how to switch them out, and the one i'd be switching with is older.

i'm going to look it up and try it i'll let you know

alright i downloaded it.

what do you need me to do with this?

i'm not posting on the PC im trying to fix. can't get logged onto it because of my troubles
Do what I said, place the SIW file on your desktop, and double click it to run. Then, in the left hand pane, if you scroll down you should see
"sensors", click on that, it will give you your system temperatures, and the current voltages of your PSU. Then compare them to the norms. IE if 12 volt positive is say 10 volts,you know you have a problem.

Does that help?

so you saying when i am able to get my other computer back to desktop i should download this?
Well, you can either do that or download it with the machine you're on and transfer it with a flash drive if you have one. But yes, put it on the desktop. If you can't get to the desktop, then you;ll have to substitute the PSU first but I suppose if that works we won't need to SIW/

Just be careful inside the computer, and make sure you ground yourself to the case before you touch any components.

ok, i managed to dust off the power supply a good amount.

that allowed me to get to desktop, i got SIW in, but in sensors it showed only 1 temperature saying assembly, and it was in the correct temperature range.

i was only on for a good 3-5 minutes before i got a blue screen of death.

after shutting it down i tried to turn it back on and i was stuck in power save mode.

The only two things that come directly to mind in your case, are either the PSU, or perhaps the CPU heatsink fan assembly has come loose.

Now, was there a error message attached to the blue screen..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back