TechSpot

Neowin: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean review

By Neowin
Jul 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. When Google announced and showcased Android 4.1 Jelly Bean at the I/O conference, it was understood that Google wanted this to be a somewhat minor update to last year's Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), so in this review, we'll just……

Read more

2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 384   +70

I have the htc evor 4g lte, how would I know if I have jelly bean?

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

You don't.

Welcome to Android.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,126   +729

As far as I know the only device with Jelly Bean is the Google Nexus tablet. Android (or HTC) really does suck at loading phones with versions that haven't been released yet. If I were you Littleczr, I'd take it back, and buy an iPhone 4S. When the iPhone 5 comes out it'll automatically transform into it.

Sarcasm aside.... you'd go to Settings -> About Phone -> Software information and you'll see your Android Version. At least, that's how it works on mine, which is version 2.3.5.

5. lawfer

All Nexus devices (both tablets and phones) will get Jelly Bean.

Other than that, update availability is a mystery for third-party devices (like always).

At the very least I know if I get a 4S now, I will get iOS 6 and beyond.

6. does it run on lg optimus net(P690)?

7. lawfer...and how many of the actual features of your supposed "ios6 and beyond" will actually work on your phone (already read on a few sites features will simply not make the lower models)...and how long before crapply simply say..."nope not supporting that anymore time to buy our next shiny product"?

8. lawfer

Is this about Siri? Is that the best you can do?

An iPhone 3GS, released in 2009, still gets iOS 6 sans Siri. How many Android 1.6 Donut devices (also released in 2009) can even hope to get Jelly Bean? Don't worry, I'll wait.

9. Still no mention of any changes to usb device support or less-than-obvious changes.

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

"You don't.

Welcome to Android."

Nice trolling. But every Android tells you what OS it's running.

If only there was a way for someone to compile the code without waiting for the manufacturer and package up an installer for the new OS... oh wait there is! Because it is open source...

And there are communities that do just that. Lots of them.

11. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

AND they do it better! bets of both worlds!

12. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 357   +57

You should look up what 3GS actually gets, seems like almost all the big changes are being left out of iOS6 for the 3GS, Siri is just one of the things.

13. lawfer

You have said nothing I don't know. Look up what "open-source" truly means, and then come back to me. Android is hardly open source; releasing the source code of a closely modified OS to the public after the fact, is not really open source. Those communities you talk about don't get a say in the matter, that's precisely why they do the things they do <I>after</I> the OS is compiled. The only thing real open source about Android is when the Open Handset Alliance develops changes to the Linux kernel. Actual Android OS? Not so much.

But, we're getting off topic. I'm still waiting for an answer though.

Trolling? I assumed since Jelly Bean is a new operating system update that was <I>just released</I>, him asking whether he has it or not, was a way of him asking whether he'll get it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.