Neowin: How to regain your online privacy

Neowin

These days it is very hard to keep your profile low when you are online. Services that are used every day by many, such as Facebook, Google and Twitter, aren’t exactly known for keeping your data especially private by default. Advertising companies are also known for tracking your browsing habits across many websites using cookies, so they no doubt know more about you than you realize.

So, in this age of compromised digital privacy, how do you regain your footing and protect yourself from things that may come back to bite you? Neowin have this handy guide to tell you just what you can do to keep private online. In part one, we go over some of the more drastic measures you can take to regain your online privacy. Look out for part two, featuring some less drastic actions, tomorrow.

The following measures will almost certainly help you regain some privacy, but it will be at a cost. As such, we recommend that you only take these drastic measures if you want to try as best you can to erase your online profile and start fresh. You will almost certainly have to make sacrifices, so if you are not willing to take these drastic measures then skip forward to the less drastic measures section.

Read the rest of the article

This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

This is why I don't use Fecesbook, Twatter, or Googley. For an alternate and less evil search engine, use duckduckgo.

Guest said:
This is why I don't use Fecesbook, Twatter, or Googley. For an alternate and less evil search engine, use duckduckgo.

I don't use any of these, either. I used Facebook, Twitter and Google, though.

I was hoping the article would provide some information that average users could use, such as tweaking privacy settings and such. Not sure who this article is aimed at, since only privacy nuts will follow such drastic measures, I don't think they will be using most of these sites anyway.

Sorry, missed the part about a part 2 with less drastic measures. Though I'm still not sure who part 1 is meant for.

Joining [using] a public proxy network on the internet, is a smart man's exercise in democracy.

As Canadian PM Trudeau once said, government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

hello ...

whatever you do, anonymity online is just an illusion ... that is used by both parties, the one who want to hide oneself & the one spying on others ...

you will never find proof against or for this, as maintaining the status is the real goal of all authorities

good luck !

cheers!

Back