Neowin: Microsoft 2014, another exciting year ahead

Neowin

Twenty-thirteen was an incredible year for Microsoft. A year ago, when we looked forward to what the company had in store, we could hardly have imagined just how many exciting developments were still to come.

The last twelve months have seen some major product launches from Microsoft, including the Xbox One and the second generation of its Surface tablets. Office 2013 was released at the beginning of the year, along with a new Office 365 subscription for home users. We also saw the launch of the greatly improved Windows 8.1, along with three updates for Windows Phone 8, as the mobile platform finally made significant gains in the market.

Perhaps the biggest changes were not on the product front, but rather to the organisation itself. 2013 was the year that Microsoft’s ‘devices and services’ vision really began to redefine and reshape the company as a whole, and the announcement of its plan to buy Nokia’s devices business was a huge and significant step in that direction. It was also the year that its larger-and-louder-than-life CEO, Steve Ballmer, announced his retirement plans, leading to endless speculation about who might take over at the top.

Yes, 2013 was an extraordinary year indeed for Microsoft – but there is so much more to come. Read on as we take a look at what we know for sure, along with the stuff of rumour and conjecture, to see just what Microsoft has in store for the year ahead.

Read the full article.

This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

No Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. Regardless of what was brought out in 2013, I'm still disappointed.
The irony of it all is that less than a year later windows 8 released 8.1, it may not officially be counted as a service pack but in reality thats what it is. Im actually shocked they didnt do one for 7, but you know microsoft is pushing 8 hard core. Though I like 8, I wish they had done an extreme update to 7 to keep it living on further with some features brought on only available in 8.

No Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. Regardless of what was brought out in 2013, I'm still disappointed.

Agreed wholeheartedly on that one. I understand that Microsoft wants everyone to have to pay to upgrade to Windows 8, but for those of us who aren't interested in moving on yet, a service pack would be greatly appreciated.

Agreed wholeheartedly on that one. I understand that Microsoft wants everyone to have to pay to upgrade to Windows 8, but for those of us who aren't interested in moving on yet, a service pack would be greatly appreciated.

Just keep complaining, maybe they'll listen! Ha
But then again, why would they listen to a bunch of technology nerds who know nothing about W8 but yet complain like they're experts. I say - GOOD FOR YOU MICROSOFT, keep up the great work!

why would they listen to a bunch of technology nerds who know nothing about W8
Thats not all, I don't want to know anything about that eye sore ****! I'll stick to my eye candy thank you, especially when I know MS won't support their next OS for any longer period of time.

I don't usually label people, but you are obviously trolling!

Thats not all, I don't want to know anything about that eye sore ****! I'll stick to my eye candy thank you, especially when I know MS won't support their next OS for any longer period of time.

I don't usually label people, but you are obviously trolling!

You mean iCandy right - look who's trolling! I'm just sick and tired of hearing from people complaining about MS and Windows 8 when they are TOTALLY clueless about the OS and how it performs.

MS blowing their own trumpet! Actually they are not very impressive. MS is living off its past glories. They are basically recycling old applications with minor enhancements. How much more can Excel 2013 do compared to Excel 2003?

Back