Neowin: Portal 2 Review

Neowin

The original Portal release on the PC was one that deservedly received high praise from gamers and journalists alike. It was different to many other Valve titles in that you no longer had any weapons in your hands, just a simple two-way portal weapon, along with a jump and crouch button.

Although the original was maybe a little short in length for some gamers, its selection of mind-bending portal based puzzles kept gamers coming back for more. The excellent dialogue was also a major plus in what was essentially a puzzle game at heart. Well here we are, almost 4 years down the line with the release of Portal 2, the premise stays the same, but the length of the game has almost doubled. This is also the first time that we see Valve's Steam service make its way to consoles, well, on the PlayStation 3 at least!

Story: Once again the game is set in the mysterious Aperture Science Laboratories, though this time there are a number of new characters and a range of new puzzle elements for gamers to get to grips with. You still have your trusty Portal gun and use it in the same way as you did in the first game, but there are improved physics on offer to open up even more ways to complete test chambers and some of the more open areas that are now in the game.

We don't want to spoil things for anyone who will be picking up the game, as we felt the story and dialogue was once again excellent, so we will only outline the basics here. The idea behind the game is that you are woken up from an induced sleep many years after the original title. Then just as it looks like Aperture Science Labs have been destroyed and damaged beyond repair, you and your Robot companion Wheatley (Voiced by U.K. actor Stephen Merchant) accidentally reboot GLaDOS, the murderous and sarcastic computer that guided you throughout the first game.

Read the rest of the review.
- This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

Partnership my *** (no offense to Neowin, of course).

You guys should the the ones doing the review. Haven't any of the staff thought about it (and, of course, combining it with the performance review)? I think it would be pretty good.

I will definitely be picking it up, but not at the price of €50 (I saw it was on preorder sale for €44 in the weekend aswell)
Portal is an awsome game but to me not worth more than say €20
So I'll wait untill it falls in price or these is a steam deal :)

Yea I know, but another thing is I'm guessing it's $50 in the US?
Well, with todays exchange rate 50.00 USD = 34.9128 EUR
So you can understand that price to me just sounds absurd!

Its $90 for two, lol.

Steam Christmas sale 2011 here I come!

I pretty much buy the bulk of next year's gaming on it.

Now that Portal 2 is finally out can we PLEASE get back to the epic Half Life series? HL2 episode 3 or HL3 will do, I don't really care what you call it.

Per Hansson said:
I will definitely be picking it up, but not at the price of €50 (I saw it was on preorder sale for €44 in the weekend aswell)
Portal is an awsome game but to me not worth more than say €20
So I'll wait untill it falls in price or these is a steam deal :)

what? was 33

Timonius said:
Now that Portal 2 is finally out can we PLEASE get back to the epic Half Life series? HL2 episode 3 or HL3 will do, I don't really care what you call it.

Third that!!!!!!!

I am only a few hours into the single and co op campaigns but I am already loving both. I admire the style of the game and find it extremely entertaining. My favorite game this year for sure.

Back